Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

weeds in bermuda grass

">
">

what's the names of these 2 types of weeds its growing in burmuda grass. what herbicide spray can i use to kill these weeds?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The first picture looks like you have a case of nutgrass. The second picture looks like (I could be wrong) what is 'Hilo' grass. Some areas like Manoa, Nuuanu, Waiahole Valley, Kahana Valley, Maunawili, Kahaluu, Sleeping Giant, Hilo (wet, muddy, adobe soil) it seemed like only Hilo grass would grow. Thus, weekly, low mowing with the lightweight rotary mower was all we could hope for in keeping a decent looking property. Its all part of living in those rain forest ecosystems. In this case we went along with nature, instead of trying to force a lawn in an area that would have little to no chance of success. Centi lawns were the alternative.

For nut grass I have used 'Image'. Don't count on a 'full on' kill of the nutgrass...more of a suppression.

And you will need a good broadleaf killer for the Hilo grass.

Get that burmuda strong, and both of these weeds will eventually be covered over by the creeping nature of burmuda. Reel mower (front throw the best) weekly. Be sure the bed knife and reel are sharp. Also, not to be overlooked is that both of these weeds thrive in wet conditions. That could mean over watering/leaky sprinklers,heavy rain. The soil could be too compacted (adobe clay) and needs attention to fix the source of the problem.

Aloha
Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that's why i don't like bermuda grass. it's high maintenance. you have to keep it treated all the time to keep the weeds out of it.

centipede or carpet grass on the other hand takes care of itself. you may have some weeds early spring but once the grass takes off it grows so thick the weeds just disappear on their own.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscape hawaii 808 View Post
">
">

what's the names of these 2 types of weeds its growing in burmuda grass. what herbicide spray can i use to kill these weeds?
purple nutsedge is the first one. That is controlled by Certainty or Sedgehammer.

Second one is paspalum conjugatum. As paradise said, it is fostered by wet soil. Image herbicide will damage it.

Nowadays, I suggest that people with extensive or widespread weed problems in large lawns get it professionally sprayed.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see a third weed around the paspalum. That one is green kyllinga.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Yard Service View Post
The first picture looks like you have a case of nutgrass. The second picture looks like (I could be wrong) what is 'Hilo' grass. Some areas like Manoa, Nuuanu, Waiahole Valley, Kahana Valley, Maunawili, Kahaluu, Sleeping Giant, Hilo (wet, muddy, adobe soil) it seemed like only Hilo grass would grow. Thus, weekly, low mowing with the lightweight rotary mower was all we could hope for in keeping a decent looking property. Its all part of living in those rain forest ecosystems. In this case we went along with nature, instead of trying to force a lawn in an area that would have little to no chance of success. Centi lawns were the alternative.

For nut grass I have used 'Image'. Don't count on a 'full on' kill of the nutgrass...more of a suppression.

And you will need a good broadleaf killer for the Hilo grass.

Get that burmuda strong, and both of these weeds will eventually be covered over by the creeping nature of burmuda. Reel mower (front throw the best) weekly. Be sure the bed knife and reel are sharp. Also, not to be overlooked is that both of these weeds thrive in wet conditions. That could mean over watering/leaky sprinklers,heavy rain. The soil could be too compacted (adobe clay) and needs attention to fix the source of the problem.

Aloha

The lawn isnt really full of nut grass just a few places
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not to hi jack your thread but I've got a customer that has a bad nutsedge problem with his Bermuda I know the sod was laid down on compacted clay soil will aeration and sedgehammer help or is it a waste of time?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If nutsedge is the only weed, Sedgehammer will help. The key to controlling nutsedge is to wait for it to completely emerge, then spray the whole lawn. Spot spraying misses the small shoots that you might not see and many of the nutsedge herbicides are highly active through the soil. Spot spraying allows more to emerge because of missed shoots and untreated soil.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
purple nutsedge is the first one. That is controlled by Certainty or Sedgehammer.

Second one is paspalum conjugatum. As paradise said, it is fostered by wet soil. Image herbicide will damage it.

Nowadays, I suggest that people with extensive or widespread weed problems in large lawns get it professionally sprayed.
Can i cut the grass then spray the weeds or should i not cut it?? And my lawn has a irragation system how long should i keep it off for?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, how low are you mowing? With what type of mower? Generally, these types of herbicides are applied 5 days before a mowing and 5 after. That is so there is enough leaf area to kill the emerged nutsedge. You also need 12 hours between spraying and the next irrigation for best results. The product labeling will tell you all of this.