Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

How to price a lawn, using google maps?

How should someone price lawns using google maps?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

1.5 Cents per Square yard?

I been using google to get the size of the yard say 50 feet by 200 which, comes up to 10,000 square feet, then divide by 3: 3,333 square yards. then times that by .015. $49.99. I have one person i work with. He feels we should charge more. but we have basic equipment and 25 inch deck. should i be charging more. please help!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard with using a 25" to bid fairly...reason being is that you won't be very efficient with a smaller deck like that. Not trying to be rude...it's merely facts.

I use google maps at least 90% of the time. My market wouldn't bear a $49 charge for 10 sq ft lot...at least not for a few years yet. If you can get $49 that's awesome!

In my area there aren't a lot of fences...so bidding is pretty easy. I look up the square footage and calculate my time and provide a price. I break it down in lots 8-12k st ft. 12-16k sq ft...etc.

Terrain of properties can be hard to figure with an aerial view on google maps. Therefore you need to know your area well. Mine is relatively flat, there again making bidding easier with google maps.

That's about all I can comment on...
Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troybuddy View Post
I been using google to get the size of the yard say 50 feet by 200 which, comes up to 10,000 square feet, then divide by 3: 3,333 square yards. then times that by .015. $49.99. I have one person i work with. He feels we should charge more. but we have basic equipment and 25 inch deck. should i be charging more. please help!
How many properties have you gotten using this formula?

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

We have been using a combination of google maps, zillow and findlotsize.com.

I ask them if they have a fence or pool. Obviously I cant see if there are difficult areas to mow but i am willing to take the chance by bidding off of the online information.

Worst case senario is that we cut it a couple times and have to call them up and tell them I underestimated the time involved and it will be going up $5 a week. They can always drop me if they dont like it.

I cant imagine going out to look at every lawn anymore. People like the instant price quotes I can give now and some sign up immediately. That keeps them from shopping around for the next several days or even hours until you get around to looking at their lawn and giving them a quote.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the only thing about using google maps is you don't really see it. there are too many factors that you cant see unless you are looking at the yard in person.

For example; slope, maybe they added a trampoline that you have to move, maybe they added a few trees, maybe they took away some trees, plants what if there is a gatethere now and you have to push mow the back yard, and etc.

What would happen if you told them a price over the phone and they got you to do it, and it ended up being worth more money? You must obviously have to eat it, because I don't know of anyone who would accept a higher price than what they were told, unless they just don't care about their money, in this rough economy. It just don't sound like good business, in my opinion.

What is your reasoning between quoting with google maps and going to quote it in person?
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

why size deck should i be using?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troybuddy View Post
why size deck should i be using?
Well...I think a good 48" hydro walk behind would suit you...accompany that with your 25" and you should be in good shape to tackle most residentials.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I won't bid a lawn without meeting the customer and doing a walk through first! your treading dangerous territory
bidding site unseen, as for equipt i would agree that either a 48" or a 52" with your 25" would be a good fit for what your trying to do, we use a 21" a 40" and a 52" stander, which in my opinion is almost a perfect setup.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use the map to find out how to go look at it in person.