Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2014, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I took your advice Jim

Recently one of our techs went to a customer's house for a spring turn on. It turns out that this customer happened to be the dentist for one of our owners. Suffice it to say, he was less than pleased with the turn on and sent pictures with an email of his concerns. So they sent me out there to fix the things he overlooked and go through the system with a fine tooth comb.

I spent about 3.5 hours out there with my assistant. And within the last 45 minutes the zones just started coming on sporadically. They would not stop, it was the weirdest thing I have seen in a while. At this point, the bill was fast approaching 800.00, well above the price of the turn on he paid and the few small repairs at the start. I determined that it was his controller that was causing the issue and needed to be replaced. There was no one home for approval as this was Thursday before the 4th.

I called my boss and asked what I should do. She said go ahead and replace it, because she did not want the owner to get mad we did not replace it. I guess it would be a 50/50 shot. Anyway I replaced it, but before I did I took a video of what the controller was doing. Because I had a feeling that since it was supposedly working before I got there, he would think I just wanted to pad his bill. And guess what? That is exactly what happened! So it was a good thing I took the video!
Attached Files
File Type: mov IMG_2466.MOV (1.85 MB, 188 views)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how recent are you talking? its the middle of summer already
Old 07-06-2014, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL I know! He was there about two weeks ago. Believe it or not, we have some customers that wait until the last possible moment to turn their systems on. Water here is so expensive because so many cities and counties get it from the City of Detroit, many wait to water as late in the season as possible.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am just messing around with you lol
Old 07-06-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Ha Ha I know Although it has been chilly here the last few days!!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinDetroit View Post
LOL I know! He was there about two weeks ago. Believe it or not, we have some customers that wait until the last possible moment to turn their systems on. Water here is so expensive because so many cities and counties get it from the City of Detroit, many wait to water as late in the season as possible.
Maybe arrange to turn on and service the system earlier in the year that way you are not scrambling. He doesn't have to start watering until needed but it is ready to go ahead of time.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I still have folks calling for start ups as well, and it's July 9th. Their problem, not mine. Should've called earlier, so don't expect me to rush out because of poor planning. We don't just call or show up to the 1400+ customers or so. They need service, they call. They don't call, they don't get serviced. I don't see my mechanic rolling up to my shop every three to four months for an oil change.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

It's not that I was scrambling. The t/o was done by another tech and it was not up to par so they sent me back to go through the system. I agree with Dana. The company I work for has well over 15k customers. There are 15 service techs all with helpers. While I would like to get to everyone early, it's not possible. This customer usually turns on their own system too.
Posted via Mobile Device