Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking for a used Zero Turn

Hey guys, just found this site and we are looking into buying a used Zero Turn to replace our old and worn out JD riding mower which currently has a 42" mulching deck. We might stay with 42" or maybe go up to a 54" deck. We have some spots that will be kind of tight with the 54" deck. I know for sure we do not want a mulching deck. I do not like that at all.

We probably mow a couple of acres, could be more or could be less. I am just not to familiar with zero turns. What brands should I stay away from? What brands are the better ones? I have used some Great Danes in the past and I have a family member who has a Great Dane and they seem to be good mowers although they ride a little rough. Of course that could be all of them. My cousin has a Land Pride and he does not recommend it because there is no way to change the hydraulic oil. Are Cub Cadets any good? When I think of Cub Cadet, I think of junk. That was just my impression of them even though I have never used one.

Buying new is not out of the question but we do not want to spend $6,000 or more. I was thinking 3,500 or less. The problem I see with buying used is they are probably going to be well used and already half way wore out.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Go down to the homeowners forum and read the Zero Turn Threads. You'll be busy for days. There are guys happy with every brand of mower made. Scag, Ferris, ExMark, Hustler seem to be the most popular. If you are mowing a couple acres don't go any smaller than 52. If you plan on mowing alot of grass look at a commercial grade machine, they have higher quality pumps, commercial motors and the decks are fabricated/welded versus stamped which aren't nearly as heavy duty. You honestly won't get much mower for 3500 or less new, you'll get a home depot model. Look for a good used commercial machine with low hours that was owned by a home owner. I went this route and am very happy.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I must be blind, where is the homeowners forum at?

We wouldn't mind having bigger than a 52" deck but the problem is we have some stuff to mow around that even a 52" deck might be to big. I guess we could always push mow that part of it, it is not that much.

I was kind of thinking of getting a commercial grade mower. We just cut our own grass for now but I want something that will last. Our current mower is a JD LT155 and it has been nothing but problems. I don't know if it is how we use it, the ground we drive on, we do have some rough spots but wish we never bought it.

On average, what is the life span of a commercial rated mower if taken care of?