Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Lawnworks View Post
Rolling around in a truck/trailer combo pretty much screams "I don't pay taxes and I don't have insurance." What legitimate consumer service business doesn't have at least their name on their vehicles?
Mine does not.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I am not sure why you would not sign your vehicles and equipment. I cant hope to list the number of contacts and jobs I have gotten over the last 20 years because people saw my name on the trucks and equipment. I got a job last week because I put a sign on a job site after we had left.

I think if you don't sign your stuff you are loosing out on the opportunity to create brand recognition. Its huge. You do good work, don't you want customers and the competition to see who is doing it? All the time I hear, "You guys are busy I see your trucks all over". I have two pickups, a 5500 and dump truck. Certainly not a large fleet. Yet when you name is on the side of them, people see your name and the more they see it the more they remember it.
Good points and I agree. I do work for several companies as a sub and they like that I do not have my name on my truck. Not sure what there telling their customers but it's what they want.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All the class 8 trucks and f550 size yes, pick ups and 1 tons no. Sometimes a nice small lettering job on a pickup tailgate or the extended cab looks good but I think a lot of the time they end up overdone and look hack-ish
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

One negative is that you get more salesman's calling trying to sell you stuff. Maybe you are more high profile than low profile. Could be bad depending on who is watching. Other than that I see no down side to lettering every thing.

We do mostly commercial for GC's or as the prime contractor and still see no reason why you would not want other GC;s , suppliers, Competition etc to see you are busy with work.

I have our name on everything and know it has done more good than bad. Look around at the very successful companies in your area and most are color matched and lettered.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that the level to which you sign your stuff varies and what looks good is highly subjective. However some customers, both contractors and homeowners feel better in doing work from a company that they recognize. The more your stuff is seen around town the more legitimate your perceived. The easier and more likely future work becomes.

If your customers don't want you to sign you equipment, I guess that's what you do on their job. Personally I would sign my stuff and cover it when I am on their jobs. You can get magnetized vinyl that matches your paint.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Around here, it's almost entirely the illegal operations (no service vendor's license, i.e. not paying taxes and definitely not insured) that are running the trucks with no signs. I know that a few of them are actual one-crew operations with a decent number of legitimate accounts, but they do a ton of work on the side for cash and therefore do not want to attract attention. I have a friend who used to pay a certain company cash for spring and fall cleanups. It's amazing how cities let these clowns stay in business. If you opened any other sort of door-to-door service business and didn't pay your municipal taxes (which you obviously aren't paying if you're not paying your federal, state, FICA, self-employment, etc.), you would be fined and shut down in no time.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
I think your work truck should have at least your basic co. info.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree.
You need your company name and phone number.

Some of the best trucks have simple or very basic info/graphics. With that said a wrapped truck can look great, but expensive if you're just starting out.

My cargo trailer has full signage.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Lawnworks View Post
Around here, it's almost entirely the illegal operations (no service vendor's license, i.e. not paying taxes and definitely not insured) that are running the trucks with no signs. I know that a few of them are actual one-crew operations with a decent number of legitimate accounts, but they do a ton of work on the side for cash and therefore do not want to attract attention. I have a friend who used to pay a certain company cash for spring and fall cleanups. It's amazing how cities let these clowns stay in business. If you opened any other sort of door-to-door service business and didn't pay your municipal taxes (which you obviously aren't paying if you're not paying your federal, state, FICA, self-employment, etc.), you would be fined and shut down in no time.
Paying municapal taxes is the last thing I want too do. They do nothing for any buisness.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Paying municapal taxes is the last thing I want too do. They do nothing for any buisness.
I'm thinking the same thing...

I'm running pirate as well. Part of it is my trucks are for sale on and off and don't want to peel off graphics. The other is honestly I just don't care any more, my work comes from people for know me or refer me.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Trust me, I don't like paying them either, but if the retail corner store has to pay them, then I have to as well if I am selling services in the community. While I agree that many municipal governments are bloated, our tax dollars pay for public safety as well as the roads that we drive our vehicles on in order to get to our job sites.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."