Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on trying a pair of these redwings in the future...

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-brown
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always hated spending alot of money on work boots because they were filthy in a week after buying them. I read a ton if reviews and spent some money on a pair of ariat workhogs. It was the best money I've ever spent. Shoes and boots are so important for safety and comfort. With a good pair of boots you'll be safe and less tired at the end of the day. These are breathable, waterproof, and lightweight. They look sharp too. There are two things you don't skimp on in this world...and that is footwear and bedding material. You spend so much of your life walking, standing up and sleeping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Vasque, Keen, Merrell... Echoing above: go with a hiker over a workboot for improved OFFROAD traction. I also like the ventilated kind for Summer's heat & coupled with Goretex to deal with AM dew/moisture.

http://vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7480-v...ock-solarpower
I'll be checking these out.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
I plan on trying a pair of these redwings in the future...

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...nch-boot-brown
Just took a look at the link. Remember the models from Red Wing that are made in China cannot be resoled at least that is what I have been told by my dealer. If I was in the market for a new pair I would only buy a pair that could be resould only. I just had a pair from 10 years ago resoled and even though the boots had been in storage for that time I am now getting a second life on a wise investment made in the.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Harris View Post
Brahma from walmart.

Steel toe, slip resistant bottom (oil & water), water proof = $25.00

Last 1 year for me.
+1 I buy the Brahma "Kane" Each one lasts about 4-5 months for me, but at 25ish bucks a couple of pair a year doesn't break the bank.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

i wear carolina logger boots that are 8'' and un-insulated and soft toe. they have the vibram bottom and they are awesome.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had wet feet recently as the gore tex in my Merrels wore out. Couldn't get my size. Stumbled into a pair of Irish Setters by Redwing. They are China made unfortunately. But they were immediately very comfortable. Like glove leather.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0011E...sr=1-1&pi=SL75

Not sure how long they will last, but no break in needed. My normal size fit (despite Merrels apparently shrinking in recent years). Last year I had to go up a size on Merrels (ended up giving a homeless guy a pair of two day old $140 Gore tex Merrels). So that pair actually set me back around $300.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy something sight unseen... All that I have to go from around here is typical mall and strip mall stores, nothing that carries Vasque or Danner.
Yeah, even Bass Pro Shops quit carrying Danner. I buy mine online now. I buy Danner because I have feet wide as a duck. If I find Merrill on sale I get 1/2 size larger because they're more narrow. Vasque are just crazy expensive. They're kind of narrow too.

I wear Keen Sandals too. They have a big rubber cap over the toes and probably offer as much protection as the average tennis shoe. I've found them on closeout for $44. Still a lot for sandals, but they wear for years. They're made for hiking and have good traction.

If either my Keen sandals or Danner boots get too gross on the inside I wash them in the washing machine. Then retreat the leather parts. Maybe 2 or 3 times over their lifetime.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got wide feet too... I'm 6'3" 215ish.... I've got a couple pairs of Alico boots (summit, and guide), they are Italian made, but you can get them for under $150 from Sierra Trading Post. I would wear them but they are insulated and there's nothing like swamp foot on a 95 degree day, and they are too good when it comes to stiff ankle support.

I've always preferred the "old school" look like a Danner or the Alico, but I'm definitely open something new. I know its a side point, but I'm also looking for something that won't look like a total goof with shorts. Our crews all wear safety orange w/dark blue Dickie 874 pants, but there are a lot of times when it gets hot that I have to shed the pants.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I've got wide feet too... I'm 6'3" 215ish.... I've got a couple pairs of Alico boots (summit, and guide), they are Italian made, but you can get them for under $150 from Sierra Trading Post. I would wear them but they are insulated and there's nothing like swamp foot on a 95 degree day, and they are too good when it comes to stiff ankle support.

I've always preferred the "old school" look like a Danner or the Alico, but I'm definitely open something new. I know its a side point, but I'm also looking for something that won't look like a total goof with shorts. Our crews all wear safety orange w/dark blue Dickie 874 pants, but there are a lot of times when it gets hot that I have to shed the pants.
Wide is my curse as well. The above mentioned Irish Setters come in real sizes. IE: 11.5 EE which was very welcome after trying to cram my toes into anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device