Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ecolawn Carrier loaded on rear PJ Dump Traile

Ecolawn Carrier loaded on rear PJ Dump Trailer.

Will post some pictures tomorrow with the Ecolawn 200 riding on it's carrier.

Ecolawn sells this carrier for around $900.00. Pretty high...but the nice thing is it keeps your machine locked in place....making it hard to steal.

The Ecolawn 200 weights about 300 pounds. And the carrier weights about 100 pounds. It's a really nice set up.

The turn and brake lights work off the dump trailer....so I'm legal and good to go!!!!
Attached Images

2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Trying to carry the Ecolawn and enough material to last you for a while is the biggest challenge. I use a 20' PJ dump trailer myself. The Ecolawn goes right up the heavy equipment ramps easily. The floor D-rings and some tie down straps work great for quickly storing the machine securely.

Even with the machine taking up 4' of trailer I carry 12-14 yards of material on average. A few weeks back we got too much and ended up with 17 yards in the trailer. My setup allows us to do about $2000 a day in sales on average with just one load. To really work efficiently with the Ecolawn you need to have a CDL required size trailer or truck.

Having a truck/trailer that is tall enough (deck over) that you can dump into the Ecolawn and do quick refills is a must as well or it will really hurt your efficiency. A tall loading platform will allow you to do 10 second refills.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Correct me if I'm wrong...PlantscapeSolutions...but your dump trailer is a gooseneck....where I think you can get away leaving the rear empty.

With My 16 ft PJ Dump....if I leave 3 to 4 feet empty....the trailer is not balanced which makes driving it more challenging.

But yes, you have a great set up!!!

I'm lucky....because the compost plant is very close to My working areas. So getting more compost is easy and quick.

Thanks for the input!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong...PlantscapeSolutions...but your dump trailer is a gooseneck....where I think you can get away leaving the rear empty.

With My 16 ft PJ Dump....if I leave 3 to 4 feet empty....the trailer is not balanced which makes driving it more challenging.

But yes, you have a great set up!!!

I'm lucky....because the compost plant is very close to My working areas. So getting more compost is easy and quick.

Thanks for the input!!!
Yes, I have a gooseneck. Because of the amount of weight they tend to carry I could never bring myself to buy any bumper pull dump trailer. You hit the nail on the head with the balance issue. Bumper pulls are finicky about the load placements and goosenecks are not.

For a bumper pull that Ecolawn carrier is a good deal since you don't have any room to spare. How many yards can you fit in your trailer?

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Usually I carry around 10,000 pounds of compost. So that's 5 yards (one scoop) plus around half of another....so 7 to 8 yards.

I got two full scoops this a.m.....the guy didn't load it right, so I was at 10 tons!!! I got stuck shoveling a good amount out, before I could leave. It sucked and put me back about an hour.

And with the moisture in the organic compost right now...it's extra heavy, so last year I could get two full scoops and be around 10,000 pounds....not this year.

So I hope a little organic compost in the yard will go a long way...since it's very moist right now.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the pictures from today.

Just ordered a Green Touch Backpack Holder for the side of the dump trailer. Should get that in a week.

Does anyone know of any attachments for holding a fertilizer spreader? Looked on line and didn't really see anything. And I can't use a hitch....since the Ecolawn 200 rides back there on that hitch.

I know I can put it in back of the dump trailer....but would like something better.

Thanks for any and all help!!!
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you able to install & remove this carrier by yourself? Just thinking of this for the Isuzu dumptruck. We only pull a little 5x10 trailer for the spreader now which is lightweight & easy to hook-up.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Adam,

Yep...it's easy. But I am getting the carrier reinforced because of the length of the carrier off of the dump trailer. Had to get a 12" extender (too much length now) so the Ecolawn hopper wouldn't hit the barn doors handle.

Nite Trailers should have it done maybe this Monday, tomorrow. Plus now I just traded in the F250 for a F450 dually. So now this will help with the heavier loads and braking. I want to be safe when I'm carrier a lot of weight.

Once I get the reinforced hitch, I will post some pictures.

I'm think of wielding some angle iron to make a shelf like you have in the back of your dump trucks. I know the height will have a lot to do with the angle, but do you know what angle you started to bolt your angle iron at? Just to give me a starting point....then I have to worry about clearance as the dump bed goes higher.

Thanks for your help!!!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Hey Adam,

Yep...it's easy. But I am getting the carrier reinforced because of the length of the carrier off of the dump trailer. Had to get a 12" extender (too much length now) so the Ecolawn hopper wouldn't hit the barn doors handle.

Nite Trailers should have it done maybe this Monday, tomorrow. Plus now I just traded in the F250 for a F450 dually. So now this will help with the heavier loads and braking. I want to be safe when I'm carrier a lot of weight.

Once I get the reinforced hitch, I will post some pictures.

I'm think of wielding some angle iron to make a shelf like you have in the back of your dump trucks. I know the height will have a lot to do with the angle, but do you know what angle you started to bolt your angle iron at? Just to give me a starting point....then I have to worry about clearance as the dump bed goes higher.

Thanks for your help!!!!!
I think your really need to have two tubes at a minimum coming off the trailer. It it were me I would make it three. If that doesn't work you could have a pair of ratchet straps coming down from the top of the trailer to help give it support. When you hit a bump is when the weight is compounded and you really put a lot of stress on the carrier. Some straps at the very least could help cushion the load from bumps and even normal drive that jostles the carrier around.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
If that doesn't work you could have a pair of ratchet straps coming down from the top of the trailer to help give it support. When you hit a bump is when the weight is compounded and you really put a lot of stress on the carrier. Some straps at the very least could help cushion the load from bumps and even normal drive that jostles the carrier around.
The ratchet straps or chain going down to the outer most corner area of the platform makes a huge difference in prohibiting flex & bounce. I built one similar to this for the Turfco Mete-R-Matic & that was over 600#'s so this lightweight machine is a cinch. Those hitch extensions always seem to lend themselves to wibble-wabble. So the trailer jack wasn't so close to the dumptruck doors I installed one of these extensions & the whole drive I was afraid something was going to break.