Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats the best string trimmer?

Like the title says, What is the best string trimmer. I am in the market for a new trimmer and I would like some opinions. Im using a husqavarna now and I dont like the weight of it. Iv herd redmax is awesome as well as stihl
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive been running the Husqvarna 326ls it does great for a light weight trimmer,it vibrates more than my Maruyama.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run a stihl fs 90 r. its got a ton of power, its balanced right, and it usually starts on the first pull every time. its a tough machine too. i almost broke it in half between a tractor tire and the step on the tractor. luckily it just bend the shaft. i quickily got off and bent it back straight and have been using it for a year and a half with no problems after that. i would highly recomend it.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 90r is a good trimmer, I run three of them. However, if you want the power of the 90r, but in a light weight package. Go with the stihl fs100rx. Awesome trimmer! There are mixed feelings about the 4 mix engines, but they seem to do ok for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm a Stihl guy, because they feel right to me. Rx100 is my choice. But you need to go put them in your hands to see what is right for you. There are a lot of "good" trimmers out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the 90r doesnt seem to heavy to me. ive run a 100rx before and it seemed like the exact same trimmer just more expensive
Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

100rx is the light weight 110. It has more power then the 90. BUT the 100rx can only be a trimmer. Has a carbon fiber shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been through trimmers like crazy. I've had a redmax BCZ2460S and it had a bad crank bearing from the factory and they wouldn't warranty it because I didn't use redmax oil which is bs but what ever. I think it was more the dealer than redmax. I've started this season with a brand new echo srm230 and it had a bad diaphram in the carburetor from the factory and had a Stihl FS90R which had a bad coil from the factory. I've just had BAD luck with trimmers.

I have a Stihl FS100RX now and its perfect. Very light weight and has tons of power which is nice this time of the year because of the crazy growth. Its great for edging and trimming because its so light.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the power seemed the same to me haha. i use mine as a brush cutter in the winter. and im thinking about putting an edger gear box on it and adding a new trimmer so i can have an edger and trimmer.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashinH&P View Post
Like the title says, What is the best string trimmer. I am in the market for a new trimmer and I would like some opinions. Im using a husqavarna now and I dont like the weight of it. Iv herd redmax is awesome as well as stihl
you dont' like the weight of a husqvarna? husqvarna makes the lightest trimmer out there at only 9lbs. all the others are only heavier.

the best string trimmer is a honda or a husqvarna with a honda engine.