Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

crabgrass sprouts

Its official (in my opinion); I spotted crabgrass today. Michigan. Tiny, only a quarter of an inch tall, or wide. Last year this lawn was a heavily crabgrass infested area. Sunny, sandy. Temps hit about 85 last week. It sprouted about the time of the second mowing (of cool season grass). Dandelion bloom, cherry and forsythia bloom. We have now accumulated 150 Growing Degree Days (Base 50).

How far along is your area?
How big is your crabgrass?
What is the number of mowings so far?
What growing degree days have you accumulated for the season?
Highest temp so far?
Any frosts recently?
Bermuda coming out of dormancy?

Last edited by RigglePLC; 05-06-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Makes sense I suppose.
We are weeks away from crab. Just got rid of one foot snow cover. Soil temps not above 50 now In my est.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If there are spots that absorb that much heat from the sun as that bare sandy spot, then I wouldn't call it a lawn... Seeding should still be done to to BLOCK GERMINATION of the CG, before a preventative is put down... Obviously with the Spring planting window has become truncated becuz of the weather, but I would count on grass seed germinating rather than leaving barespots...
Even if I have to rely on A. Ryegrass this year...
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just used my thermometer to check the soil temperature. In the partially shaded area in my yard under thick turf--I found 62 degrees F.
However, in my neighbor's yard I searched until I found some tiny quarter inch tall crabgrass sprouts near the road and checked the soil temp there. The soil temperature was 80 degrees F. Sandy soil and no rain in last 5 days. I shoved the thermometer in about 2 inches and counted to 60 waiting for it to react fully. Maybe I can get a photo--gotta get close.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Its official (in my opinion); I spotted crabgrass today. Michigan. Tiny, only a quarter of an inch tall, or wide. Last year this lawn was a heavily crabgrass infested area. Sunny, sandy. Temps hit about 85 last week. It sprouted about the time of the second mowing (of cool season grass). Dandelion bloom, cherry and forsythia bloom. We have now accumulated 150 Growing Degree Days (Base 50).

How far along is your area?
How big is your crabgrass?
What is the number of mowings so far?
What growing degree days have you accumulated for the season?
Highest temp so far?
Any frosts recently?
Bermuda coming out of dormancy?
I swear I see crabgrass (and weeds no less) starting to come in in the areas I just seeded and put this crap Scotts starter fertilizer w/ weed prevention. It even says it prevents crabgrass too (you have been following along in my "seed germination" thread). What a waste this product is. It has shunded my new grass growth and is not preventing weeds/crabgrass. Go figure.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even straight fertilizer w/out any 'cides, are a waste of time and money... The soil has to be pretty anemic even for real starter fert to do any good... I only fertilize actively growing grass...
Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Even straight fertilizer w/out any 'cides, are a waste of time and money... The soil has to be pretty anemic even for real starter fert to do any good... I only fertilize actively growing grass...
With the experience I just had I am going to have to agree.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Charlotte nc. CG is beginning to tiller on most untreated lawns. Bermuda, zoysia, and centipede have germinated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I tried to look up the Scotts product Starter with weed control. I am pretty sure it is the old standby, ingredient "Tupersan" (siduron).
It is a crabgrass preventer--but a weak one--it only lasts about 4 weeks. They also claim it has "weed control". This is a huge exaggeration in my mind. By weed control of dandelions, it means it blocks the germination of dandelions seeds and certain weed seeds. It will do nothing to stop dandelions blooming that have established themselves last summer or fall, (which is most of the problem). It also might block the germination of certain types of weed seeds. Not enough to notice in my opinion.

Keep the new seed area wet--it should still fill in--just a lot slower than you planned. Perhaps it would be better to scatter the seed on loosened topsoil. That way there is no risk of burying any of it too deep. Be sure you use enough...you are trying to plant a density of between 5 and 10 seeds per square inch. In other words, if you throw out a quarter--it should cover between 5 and 10 seeds. If conditions are less than ideal...try for 15 seeds per inch.