Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-07-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you let customers decide on lawn cut days

Do you guys let customers tell you what days they want there weekly maintenance on? Or do you tell them? I try explaining to customers that I won't be in your particular area, until lets say every thursday for cuts. And thats the day you will get your cut. I can't just drive out to one person on any day of the week to just lawn cut, since gas prices are high. And also with the rain people still don't understand that I will always come the next day to make it up. Sometimes if I am slow , I can even come the day before it rains to cut.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

yea I feel your pain, folks are so used to getting what they want when they want with no thought of others. I've stopped trying I just tell them see you on this date. Every one gets one push off on the second "a can you come back in a couple days" I tell them sure, see you when I can.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunica View Post
yea I feel your pain, folks are so used to getting what they want when they want with no thought of others. I've stopped trying I just tell them see you on this date. Every one gets one push off on the second "a can you come back in a couple days" I tell them sure, see you when I can.
I try to set schedules for industrial or commercial properties early in the week. Really important clients are late in the week so their place looks great for the weekend. Everyone else gets thrown somwhere in the middle. Whenever some small insignifigant job asks to be moved, I'll say that I'll see what I can do (to imply I'll actually make an effort when in fact, I wont). I'll talk with Mr. Insignifigant later and explain that... I tried but there's just no way to move him to friday at noon. Most of the time they thank me for at least trying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nope.

I'm happy to accommodate their request if it works with my schedule, but if it doesn't, they fill whatever slot works best for my schedule.
If that isn't acceptable, I guess they will need to hire someone else.

I've been able to accommodate most requests, but not all. Many of my clients are very flexible and don't care when it gets done, so long as it gets done.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

No I'd don't usually. I do have one and he pays a ton to be done on Fridays. 60 bucks more a month. I told him that day doesn't work with my route. He said how much more will it cost me I don't care so he gives me 2400 a year to do a 1680 dollar job. If you want to give me an extra 720 a year you can be any day you want but Sunday during football season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

nope, everything runs according to a route. When first starting out, you can let them decide, but once you get alot of accounts, to minimize expense everyone goes into a route and that's it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Nope.

I'm happy to accommodate their request if it works with my schedule, but if it doesn't, they fill whatever slot works best for my schedule.
If that isn't acceptable, I guess they will need to hire someone else.

I've been able to accommodate most requests, but not all. Many of my clients are very flexible and don't care when it gets done, so long as it gets done.
That's how it is for me as well. Haven't had any real issues yet.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New clients can ask, but unless they happen to request the day of the week we will be in their area, they will probably be disappointed. Every area has a day and that's the day each person in each area gets. That being said, the nicer areas and the better work is normally scheduled later in the week and the smaller/not so great areas are earlier in the week. It typically works out just fine. I have a handful of new clients request Friday mows and if they aren't already going to be on Fridays I give them an insane price increase to move them to Fridays and they usually agree that there isn't much difference between Wednesday or Thursday and Friday.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We always set up service days based on our route and efficiency. If customers start requesting certain days we would be running all over the place trying to accomodate them and our schedule would be a mess. We have never had any issues doing it this way.

Early this season we had 1 or 2 customers that were not ready to have their lawn done when we showed up on our agreed upon date and we dropped them right then. We also had one that decided to call us 2 weeks after the estimate was sent and want her lawn done the next day. I told her we were booked for the season. We just don't need business that bad to put up with customers like that.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
We always set up service days based on our route and efficiency. If customers start requesting certain days we would be running all over the place trying to accomodate them and our schedule would be a mess. We have never had any issues doing it this way.

Early this season we had 1 or 2 customers that were not ready to have their lawn done when we showed up on our agreed upon date and we dropped them right then. We also had one that decided to call us 2 weeks after the estimate was sent and want her lawn done the next day. I told her we were booked for the season. We just don't need business that bad to put up with customers like that.
Same here.

Was just checking out your website. Looks good. You don't use line trimmers? Your basic service mentions mowing, edging and blowing.