Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I cut all the lawns I have when they need it. I know my customers well enough that they don't call to ask if I'm coming. They know I'll be there based off of routine schedule or changes due to weather. they know I'm not going to put my mower on a water soaked lawn and risk rutting or damage. I can bag any and every lawn I have if needed so when times like what I'm going to be facing the next 10 days come along, I catch right back up by bagging. The good of it, my customers will pay more if I bag the lawn just because they know it's going to take longer.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im in certain areas on certain days. I service that areas property on thar day and usually nobody else unless it is extremely important and I have extra time. Other wise.....request denied

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I mow lawns as they need it, so for some that will be every 3-4 days this time of year, others will be every 7 days. So it's impossible for someone to ask me to come every Friday. One thing I nip in the bud is people trying to say they'll call me when it needs mowing....never done it, never will. Not to be confused with someone wanting their lawn mowed because it's grown faster than I expected or for a special occasion - I'll always accommodate that.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stick to your route...
Tell anyone who wants a particular day, it'll cost more...other industries don't let folks pick ...
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I tell my customers with the price of fuel, and to keep mileage and driving time low and costs down my routes are based on pre existing customers coming back this year and where new customers fit in.

Now in reality a new customer with a great lawn and a high profit margin is a customer I want to keep so they get put on Thursday.

As the profit and the quality of the lawn decreases the customer gets put farther away from Thursday. At this point any new customers this season get told I only have Monday open. Maybe next year I can move them up a day.

When people request Friday's I am direct with a no one gets scheduled on Friday's. Fridays are for rain outs during the week.

I then ask them do you want me to mow your lawn on a Saturday? I usually get a fast no back from them. Most times they say they want to enjoy their yard and can not do that having their property serviced on the weekend.

To which I follow up this is why I need Friday's so I do not have to show up at some one's house on the weekends if I happen to fall behind.

Customers have no way of knowing if you are doing 5 lawns of 50 lawns a week. You tell them Thurdays a full this year then they are full.

Point is you set the schedule not the customer.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess Im luckey my customers dont seem to care what day I come. They due have the sprinklers off the day I come so I generaly have to come the sceduled day.

When I had my business in So. California everyone want the grass cut on Firday.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You want it Friday, sure thing!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

noone has ever asked me to mow on friday. they don't seem to care what day i mow on.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every now and again I'll get a request. I always tell them "mother nature dictates my schedule". After that they never bring it up again.

Its somewhat true....
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Every now and again I'll get a request. I always tell them "mother nature dictates my schedule". After that they never bring it up again.

Its somewhat true....
Its 100% true. If its raining you cant mow, and if its too dry you cant either. All of our business's are based on what mother nature decides to do

PlowSite-SnowFakers