Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i tell customers a range of days i may show up depending on the weather, and that range is wednesday through friday, unless it rains all week then i tell them it could be saturday or sunday even but i try not to cut on the weekends. i haven't had a problem with that yet. the thing i have a problem with is customers that don't want there lawn cut as needed in the growing season which for me is may-june the lawns that are fertilized need to be cut every 2-3 days if i wait 5 or 6 days then im double cutting at a minimum. and as of right now i'm not getting paid for that double cut yet, but i need to come up with a price for a double cut like maybe 50% of the first cut so if a lawn is normally 40 and it needs a double cut its 60.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
i tell customers a range of days i may show up depending on the weather, and that range is wednesday through friday, unless it rains all week then i tell them it could be saturday or sunday even but i try not to cut on the weekends. i haven't had a problem with that yet. the thing i have a problem with is customers that don't want there lawn cut as needed in the growing season which for me is may-june the lawns that are fertilized need to be cut every 2-3 days if i wait 5 or 6 days then im double cutting at a minimum. and as of right now i'm not getting paid for that double cut yet, but i need to come up with a price for a double cut like maybe 50% of the first cut so if a lawn is normally 40 and it needs a double cut its 60.
Same problem here just not quite as bad because I don't have too many fert lawns. Thought about averaging up how many times I cut a certain lawn a year and giving them a set price for 6 months. That way in growing season I can cut as needed without worrying about clients complaining since its the same price no matter what. Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by caseysmowing; 05-09-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

to an extent i try to, i set them up on the days that work best for me and tell them that is weather dependent. i also try to schedule so that when i get the last minute guy calling needing his lawn done tonight i have extra time to do it. i've gotten several good customers by being able to quickly get to people when their lawnmower breaks down or can't handle the tall grass with all the rain we've had
Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have certain days in certain towns in the area to keep the route tight for the day.

i handle special requests and old ball cuts myself with a second truck and spare mower/equipment that way the mow crew isnt pulled off the normal route. there is 8 accounts a week that i handle as special mowing accounts, while the mow crew is doing the regular weekly mowing they never set foot on those properties.

by special accounts i mean either too far off regular routes, has to be bagged, must be mowed on friday afternoon, must be done with a push mower, to steep for zero turns and must be cross cut every week. all of the special accounts pay a TON extra. nobody gets special service without a special price
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
do you guys let customers tell you what days they want there weekly maintenance on?
no!..........

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Established customers have the 'choicer' days = Wed-Fri. Everyone else is Mon-Tue. I tell them to stick with me so they can move up!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have found that trying to keep customers on a same day per week schedule is impossible. The weather will push you around a lot. I'll bet you for my mow/blow customers, each one gets cut on every weekday of the week during the season, and some even on weekends. Just how it goes, don't fight Mo Nature with your rigidity.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-10-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

One of the keys to a smooth operation is keeping a tight route. We never travel more than 30 miles round trip from start to finish on any given day and most days it is 25 miles or less. So in other words........ No we will not do somebody on a certain day if they request it unless it happens to be in the area we are working on that day every week anyway. Period no exceptions.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I have found that trying to keep customers on a same day per week schedule is impossible. The weather will push you around a lot. I'll bet you for my mow/blow customers, each one gets cut on every weekday of the week during the season, and some even on weekends. Just how it goes, don't fight Mo Nature with your rigidity.
Couldn't be a better post then this. I tell all my customers good or questionable that I can only do what mama nature lets me. I have a older lady and her neighbor which is the mother of former Pro football player Chuck Foreman from the Vikings. They both want their lawns bagged. I did them last week and I'm going in there today to do them a day later. I'm not bagging it again, I can tell you that much. She paid more but I under estimated the amount of clippings I'd be hauling off. When I show up today, they'll be questioning me why I don't have the bagger on. I'm going to let them know that I can't bag the grass. I'm going to give her the old saying, "cut it high, let it fly". If she doesn't like that then I'll move forward.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hopefully Chuck ain't visitin' his mama when you mow!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings