Register free!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mixing your own fertilizer

Do you spray guys typically make your own analysis by mixing the correct amount of say soluble 21-0-0 and 0-0-25 or do you just spray whatever JDL has on the shelf?

Are all soluble fertilizers compatible or are some not like pesticides?

This is my first year spraying, in the past I've just did all granular with spot spraying. Just looking for some advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have to watch the inert ingredients. If its not all soluble, you have a residue to get rid of--a mess. Don't know if all are compatible. Before retirement I used Urea and 0-0-62.
You definitely do not want sulfur coated urea in the mix.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 05-10-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-11-2013, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I make my own based on how many lb of each element wanted per 1000 sq ft. The raw materials are 21-0-0, preferably spray grade, potassium nitrate, monopotassium phosphate, and dry soluble chelated micronutrients. I will add liquid 28-0-0 if I want a slow release N in the mix. Otherwise it is applied every 30 days to warm season grasses.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I make my own based on how many lb of each element wanted per 1000 sq ft. The raw materials are 21-0-0, preferably spray grade, potassium nitrate, monopotassium phosphate, and dry soluble chelated micronutrients. I will add liquid 28-0-0 if I want a slow release N in the mix. Otherwise it is applied every 30 days to warm season grasses.
Take out the monopotassium phosphate and you pretty much have my base mix for Warm season turf. County Fertilizer ordinance prevent me from using Phosphate. I am sure I use a different source of Minor elements but the final Blend has got to be close. Truth is I spend more on Minors than Primary elements.

In the Old Days 21-0-0 and Ferrous Sulfate was the weapon of choice by most spray companies because it was cheap and gave a Black Green hue to the Turf. The problem was Ferrous Sulfate is like sand blasting the inside of you spray equipment. I forget who posted they still use that blend.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let me add::

The base elements both Green Doctor, Me and a few others use, Are the more expensive sources. 46-0-0 Urea is a lot cheaper than 21-0-0 Ammonium Sulfate. etc etc.

Many years ago I saw a Picture of Jesus, the Canvas was TURF and medium was Different Fertilizers. Each element of Fertilizer cause a different type of reaction in the plant that can be expressed in the leave color. Of course this was a huge picture that was only visible from far away. The artist had to of studied fertilizer and it's effects on turf for years before doing this master Piece.

It was seeing that picture that got me interested in Fertilizer and I have studied it's effects ever since. BTW I am not a religious person so it did not matter to me who the picture was.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 05-11-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

What would be the best mix

What would be the best mix to create a lushes lawn, but thick roots? I have a lot of activity on my lawn?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncarewizzz View Post
What would be the best mix to create a lushes lawn, but thick roots? I have a lot of activity on my lawn?
If you don't like the above recommendation, Call True Green. Their salesman will promise you the most beautiful lawn on your block.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Went in JDL to check some prices yesterday and they say they don't have sprayable potassium nitrate. They have 0-0-25 sulfate of potash that I could use with soluble ammonium sulfate.

What analysis do you typically go with on centipede and how many lbs per 1000?

Also, my spray tank is only 25 gallons. Is it ok to spray fertilizer at 1/4-1/2gallon per 1000 as long as its watered in or should I plan on getting a nurse tank and spraying at 1-2 gal per 1000?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

0-0-25 is not pure, solution grade potassium sulfate. You might have to go to an Agrium outlet or another dealer that caters to nursery and greenhouse growers for the potassium nitrate. I like to use 1/2 lb or less of N and 1/2 lb of K per 1000 sq ft per month of growing season.

Unless the turf is irrigated and you can turn the water on immediately after application, minimum application volume is in 5 gallons per 1000. Ride on sprayers will not work. Neither will any kind of boom sprayer with a low output pump. This is one that should be done with a skid sprayer or a boom capable of putting down high volumes.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
Went in JDL to check some prices yesterday and they say they don't have sprayable potassium nitrate. They have 0-0-25 sulfate of potash that I could use with soluble ammonium sulfate.

What analysis do you typically go with on centipede and how many lbs per 1000?

Also, my spray tank is only 25 gallons. Is it ok to spray fertilizer at 1/4-1/2gallon per 1000 as long as its watered in or should I plan on getting a nurse tank and spraying at 1-2 gal per 1000?
Posted via Mobile Device
Vereen's in Longs just south of North Myrtle on 90 has everything--potassium nitrate, Ammonium nitrate and your minors. Thought for sure that we covered that. Greendoctor is right about have a pump that will deliver higher volumes of mix. Time required to mix is greater than time to apply. Incidentally, warmer water will break down these quicker.