Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let's hear your thoughts !!

Well I won't make this a long drawn out description but here goes ! I get calls from clients bitching that their lawns are burned up ( I don't treat them, but maintain there irrigation ) so we rush out and see that the lawn was sprayed two weeks ago when we have not had rain in about 20 days and yes it's burnt to a crisp. Then I get calls from my lawn care clients asking when we are coming because their neighbors lawn was done a couple weeks ago and they are concerned ?? Don't get me wrong I understand business about making money, but come on , I get out to do our apps after we have finally had a couple days of soaking rain and I put down a heavy fall app and our lawns look great with beautiful color, thick and healthy. What is going on with this industry ? When you roll up to do an app and you know it's not a good idea, do you just fling it and say whatever ? I don't remember turning on clients irrigation in late April or early May ? Let's hear it guys
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your schedule is full--you really can't wait till later. No way would I wait for rain, or go back to some distant house because they had not bothered to water their lawn. With a slow-release granular crabgrass product, I never worried about burning the grass. Applied at the correct rate, fertilizer should not burn the grass.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That I fully know as well, but these guys are spraying it. In our area we all know that that we were in a precipitation deficit in April and the humidity levels were extremely low, with a lot of wind. Heck, the water on my pool cover evaporated. Sorry, it's just more of a rant I guess !
Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

haha yup, just had one customer calling in last week upset we hadn't treated his yet, but his lawn had been browned out for over 2 weeks and he was not watering yet
sorry sir the fertilizer can not make your lawn come out of severe drought stress

but, on the other hand pre-emergent need to go down where needed, crabgrass seedlings up last week around here, and ive seen nutsedge, and now that we finally got some rain the broadleafs are popping up like crazy