Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

Customers have to be educated. No lawns scheduled for Friday's and the need to have a catch up day is lesson No. 1.
Some of the best advice I have read on here. We were just discussing this today because the rains have been killing us.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Lawn Care, LLC View Post
Mower gets stuck your first thought is, it's the end of the world what now. You never get stuck in a place the truck is able to get to easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
My first thought is go get the V-Ride to pull out this heavy azz TT. Already had it happen once this season.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
This is not a disadvantage of being a solo operator.

What this is an example of a bad business model. A business model with no plan to handle weather or mechcanical delays.

There is no business model that can change the weather, even if your running a crew.

Most solo operators over "book" work and Saturdays are the "makeupday.

Look at the brightside, its better to be behind than all caught up.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think being solo you need to be careful not to overbook too much. i try to plan out each day for only 6hrs of work and nothing on friday as well. that way if i really had to i could mow 2 days worth of yards in 1 day or at least 1 1/2 days worth in 1 day. i can understand booking up friday though and just using saturday as a catch up day.

i think most solo people go wrong when they book 10hrs a day 5 days a week and then they have no room left to work with the schedule if it rains a day or two.

i did work for another company back in college and we worked 8hrs a day 5 days a week no matter what. if it rained we just picked up where we left off and kept going. we never worked weekends to catch up. fridays yards just got moved to monday.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i think being solo you need to be careful not to overbook too much. i try to plan out each day for only 6hrs of work and nothing on friday as well. that way if i really had to i could mow 2 days worth of yards in 1 day or at least 1 1/2 days worth in 1 day. i can understand booking up friday though and just using saturday as a catch up day.

i think most solo people go wrong when they book 10hrs a day 5 days a week and then they have no room left to work with the schedule if it rains a day or two.

i did work for another company back in college and we worked 8hrs a day 5 days a week no matter what. if it rained we just picked up where we left off and kept going. we never worked weekends to catch up. fridays yards just got moved to monday.
This is my second year Ive over booked, if it rains Ill skip the everyother week houses first, it makes for a lot more money, even though Ive had to work till dark a couple of times. I will have a good week even thought I couldnt work monday, and fridays stupp will be floded out, if I wasnt over booked I wouldnt have made much this week because I wont be able to do 2 large accounts.

The 6 hour 4 day model is nice, but I need to make a little more money, hopefully in a few years I can go to that model.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the thing about being solo, as others have hinted, you have to plan even more carefully than you normally would. I used to try to always front load my schedule for M-W and have Tr-F for makeups and customers who preferred to have a nice yard "for the weekends". But planning and scheduling is probably 10X more important being solo vs. having a crew.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
Yes, i admit it, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Right now my friday customers think it's going to rain friday and want their yard cut thursday. They can't even see the problem with that. They're thinking is that i'm probably sitting at home waiting to cut their yard for the week. I haven't caught up yet, and i'm getting jammed up because of their paranoia. It's just frustrating. It's mother's day this weekend, but i'm not superman. Would you cut early to accommodate a request like this, or just say "if it rains, i'll catch up later"? Someone will be pissed. It's going to be the people i HAVE to push out thursday, or the friday customers who may get rained out.
I don't worry about pissing people off anymore. I'm busy enough I stick to my schedule and if someone doesn't like it they are more than welcome to find someone else.

if I actually have time to jump ahead I would do it but if I'm already behind forget about it. I'm not gonna mow a friday account on thurs unless all my mon, tues, wed and thurs accounts are done.

the busier I get the more I become like the guys I've always despised, my way or the highway.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I text them...

Sorry, rain got in the way, you are number x in a row starting tomorrow.

(X being their actual number in the order of operation).

Then they know, this guy's taking care of us, might not happen exactly when we want it but it's going to happen.

How I do it.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking the same way. A slight catch is that 3 friday accounts are all next door to each other. If the chance of rain went down, i'd feel better. It wouldn't be the first time the weather man was wrong
Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

well said .