Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tossing compost out of the wheelbarrow, with a shovel, is not the way to do it...

Keep the wheel barrow in motion and keep the arm fanning the post evenly over the ground... requires 2 people, but much faster than any machine I'm aware of...

My biggest concern is running these heavy machines over the turf, again and again,, going back and forth to the truck/pile... what does that do to the grass???

I would be careful about investing in something until you're sure it can pay for itself in a season or 2...
Old 05-19-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smallaxe- here's your competition running circles around your system. Like I said, your competition & not mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pwR...e_gdata_player
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Tossing compost out of the wheelbarrow, with a shovel, is not the way to do it...

Keep the wheel barrow in motion and keep the arm fanning the post evenly over the ground... requires 2 people, but much faster than any machine I'm aware of...

My biggest concern is running these heavy machines over the turf, again and again,, going back and forth to the truck/pile... what does that do to the grass???

I would be careful about investing in something until you're sure it can pay for itself in a season or 2...
I'm having a hard time visualizing this process. How are you spreading the compost with your arm? Can you post a video of how you are doing this?

I can't imagine building a top dressing business without a machine. When I was doing it, I found the Earth & Turf 100 sp http://www.earthandturf.com/100sp.htm to be a wonderful investment which paid for it self in one season. I was able to sell it at a good price when I changed my business.

The benefits of compost far out weighed any compaction cause by the machine.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

phasthound,,,
I have a hardtime post pix, so a video would be out of the question, unless I got my YouTube son to do it for me...

And Again,,,
I'm not talking about building a business with a wheelbarrow,,, I'm just talking about a quick easy system that works a whole lot better than a shovel...

Visualize if you will,,,
My partner is slowly walking the wheelbarrow down the lawn... I am walking along side at the same pace... with my hand I throw compost the same way, one might skim his hand across the surface of the water, to "Fan" a wall of wall at their kids... I typically cover a 10' swath and am able to adjust the amounts on different parts of the lawn that could use more or less...

If I really got into it big time the FIRST order of business would be a conveyer for unload the truck/trailer in to wheelbarrow... then I would think about a machine...
I wish there was a machine like the ones you guys keep talking about so I could actually compete with it in a field test... so far the best 'video' I've seen was the Newer Spreader... I liked what I saw in that one...
Old 05-20-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
phasthound,,,
I have a hardtime post pix, so a video would be out of the question, unless I got my YouTube son to do it for me...

And Again,,,
I'm not talking about building a business with a wheelbarrow,,, I'm just talking about a quick easy system that works a whole lot better than a shovel...

Visualize if you will,,,
My partner is slowly walking the wheelbarrow down the lawn... I am walking along side at the same pace... with my hand I throw compost the same way, one might skim his hand across the surface of the water, to "Fan" a wall of wall at their kids... I typically cover a 10' swath and am able to adjust the amounts on different parts of the lawn that could use more or less...

If I really got into it big time the FIRST order of business would be a conveyer for unload the truck/trailer in to wheelbarrow... then I would think about a machine...
I wish there was a machine like the ones you guys keep talking about so I could actually compete with it in a field test... so far the best 'video' I've seen was the Newer Spreader... I liked what I saw in that one...
So you like thew newer Spreader but not the Eco-lawn?
Truck conveyor before a Spreader? The rest of us are going at it all backwards then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Axe,

You're not talking about this, are you?

http://www.newerspreader.com/models.htm
Attached Images

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No,,, the spreader I'm refering to is the pull behind minurature manure spreader... it looked like it would hold quite abit of material and would spread it around the lawn the same way as an agricultural manure spreader would... I may have remembered the name wrong,,, sorry...

I'm not saying anything about others sequence of events being backwards or not,,, but for me the biggest drag on time is getting the material out of the truck/trailer... like putting icecream from a scoop into a bowl, or dispensing soft serve ice cream into a bowl...
JMHO but sometimes,,, people are too easily offended and turn on the snotty attitude way too early... sometimes I think the terrorists are winning becuz our culture is declining into one just like theirs...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
No,,, the spreader I'm refering to is the pull behind minurature manure spreader... it looked like it would hold quite abit of material and would spread it around the lawn the same way as an agricultural manure spreader would... I may have remembered the name wrong,,, sorry...

I'm not saying anything about others sequence of events being backwards or not,,, but for me the biggest drag on time is getting the material out of the truck/trailer... like putting icecream from a scoop into a bowl, or dispensing soft serve ice cream into a bowl...
JMHO but sometimes,,, people are too easily offended and turn on the snotty attitude way too early... sometimes I think the terrorists are winning becuz our culture is declining into one just like theirs...
OK, so what spreader are you referring to?

Remember you are making recommendations to companies who may be more than one-man operations and are trying to build efficient business models for compost topdressing.

Your choice of words does tend to suggest that others know less than you. Several people have posted good examples of how to efficiently off-load material from truck to spreader.

Again, your choice of words may be abrasive to others and they have the right to take offense of your comments.

I will not even try to respond to your comment about our culture becoming just like the terrorists'.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry if I come off abrasively, that is Not my intent... I even went the extra sentence to explain that what works for me as a solo op, may work for the guy I was talking to... I think that some of the abrasiveness comes through becuz others who I am NOT talking to decide to jump in and criticise what I'm saying to the guy I am talking to ...

What I can do successfully with a wheelbarrow is my thing and it works very well,,, so why should anyone think that they can critisize that function??? I think you were the only one that asked for clarification ,,, while others mocked me becuz they didn't understand the process at all...

I disagree that I'm the problem... I think a small minority LCOs on the forum are offended by anything that challenges their thinking... and DO they love to spew...

I get along with most people here just fine...
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We all like you Smallaxe- One thing we forget is how we'd all get along just swell if we met up somewhere accidentally. You'd definitely be the life of the party. Just our verbage on a blank screen can change some of us for better or worse. Ya definitely make me smile (laugh at times) concerning your posts/resposes. It's a good thing, keep it up.