Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

He knows more than we do!

Customer wants his bermuda down to one inch or less OK but he wants it only cut every 8 to 12 days.

I'm trying to word the reply so I don't sound like a Azzzz. I can cut it today and with the rain we get its going to grow faster than anyone likes it. I know he needs it cut every week. The yard is covered in po anna and other cool season grasses its not treated and stays moist days after a rain.

His reason is to promote the growth SO here is what I have thought so far.

I don't have a single issue with taking the grass to one inch if that's what you want. I will have to tell you in order for the lawn to look good I'd have to cut it twice which will increase the per mow price.

Thanks Guys fire away
Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know man, i'm at a point where i wouldn't be interested in taking it. I should say that i'm in the process of scaling back, restructuring, etc. All of these types were the first to go.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see nothing wrong with taking it down to 1" this time of year. It's probably the right time to do it. However, if he wants to maintain 1" all season, it's going to have to be cut twice a week at a minimum (there will still be some scalping) 3 times a week is recommended to maintain that low of height and look its best. Otherwise, I would recommend 1.5"-2" once a week. I usually start out my bermuda lawns scalping the lawns and bagging at 1.25". Then in the beginning of the season I'll maintain my weekly customers at 1.5" then I'll move up to 2" as the season progresses usually in July, then knock it back down to 1.5" in the middle of September when it begins to cool off and the bermuda slows down (this minimizes clippings slightly to bag for the spring scalp the following year).

The only time I will mow bi-weekly on bermuda is if it's REALLY dry outside or in April and Late September up until dormancy.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
I see nothing wrong with taking it down to 1" this time of year. It's probably the right time to do it. However, if he wants to maintain 1" all season, it's going to have to be cut twice a week at a minimum (there will still be some scalping) 3 times a week is recommended to maintain that low of height and look its best. Otherwise, I would recommend 1.5"-2" once a week. I usually start out my bermuda lawns scalping the lawns and bagging at 1.25". Then in the beginning of the season I'll maintain my weekly customers at 1.5" then I'll move up to 2" as the season progresses usually in July, then knock it back down to 1.5" in the middle of September when it begins to cool off and the bermuda slows down (this minimizes clippings slightly to bag for the spring scalp the following year).

The only time I will mow bi-weekly on bermuda is if it's REALLY dry outside or in April and Late September up until dormancy.
With multiple mowings do you quote them a per cut price or a monthly fee that reflects the number of cuts throughout the season or is your billing adjustable for any given month?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless this guy is going to pay for reel cutting and get rid of weeds i would pass easily on that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunica View Post
With multiple mowings do you quote them a per cut price or a monthly fee that reflects the number of cuts throughout the season or is your billing adjustable for any given month?
For my customers, they only get cut once a week. None of them can afford/are willing to pay me for multiple cuts per week, especially reel mowing. I only reel mow my personal lawn. In the next couple years I'm going to expand to a more affluent area nearby and offer reel mowing. I do the chemicals on 95% of my customers too so I can control the growth rate. My customers get billed a flat monthly rate during the growing season. They only pay extra for stuff outside standard monthly maintenance.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cut it as he requests as long as neither your or his expectations are high for appearance. I try not to put my name on lawns that people want to cut corners with.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the lowest my mower will cut is 1 1/2".

it will not go down to 1" or less like a 21" pushmower does.

i would say ok but just cut it at 1 1/2" instead.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm too busy right now to argue with customers over petty things.

Last edited by herler; 05-09-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Okay, I know I'm farther north, and bermuda is basically a weed here, but how in the heck do you cut anything other than a putting green at 1 inch? I would think you would continously be digging dirt at that height.