Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Zoysia Sheep Hair look- spotty

If I had more time to research I wouldn't waste your time asking about this. The grass is pretty high at nearly 4.5". I suggested I mow short & bag it all up before doing anything. Only thing his spray guy suggest is giving it another couple weeks before he sprays weed app. I'm in Central Florida if that helps. Much of the lawn looks great but then these big spots look terrible. Almost like someone dumped round-up. Thanks to all!
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen this look in St.Augustine & it was from big overweight Grubs. I should have turned some of this up to verify while I was there.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the dead grass pulls up easily, as if the roots are missing, Dylox and Merit right now.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
If the dead grass pulls up easily, as if the roots are missing, Dylox and Merit right now.
I must have had too much on the brain last night while trying to squeeze in this housecall. I should have turned it over to see what's up. Grubs are always the last consideration of mine. I just called the homeowner to ask if his spray co. actually dug down to inspect for grubs. His response was "I know they fertilized & applied week killer". I asked him to call them & ask if they've specifically inspected for grubs. I was only called out to topdress these troublespots with our Black Kow Compost.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The difference between an owner operator and an employee. When a lawn suddenly looks that way after weeks of seeming ok, I am inspecting for diseases and grub damage. With few exceptions, it is possible for these problems to show up any month of the year in my location.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
I must have had too much on the brain last night while trying to squeeze in this housecall. I should have turned it over to see what's up. Grubs are always the last consideration of mine. I just called the homeowner to ask if his spray co. actually dug down to inspect for grubs. His response was "I know they fertilized & applied week killer". I asked him to call them & ask if they've specifically inspected for grubs. I was only called out to topdress these troublespots with our Black Kow Compost.
Why are you topdressibg zoysia with compost
?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Geez! 4.5 inch zoysia. Whoever mows that thing should be slapped...and then of course, FIRED!

That lawn doesn't need compost. It needs to be checked for grubs and treated if necessary. But before that, it needs to be SCALPED and bagged. It should never reach more than 2.5 inches and that would be by the end of the mowing season.

There's no telling what kind of critters, both insect and fungal have taken up residence in that jungle...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Appreciate it. You are getting a free education right here.
Myself I suspect you are looking at Bermuda grass that has invaded the zoysia. It has not greened up yet.

Then again I am 2000 miles away.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I suspected that as well but I would need a close up pic to confirm .My advice is the same either way. Bermuda has no business being mowed that high either....