Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Newb purchase / 30" or 36" / can we negotiate ?

If you see my website, it's evident I do mostly pruning and landscape modifications ... not mowing. I have a background from golf courses, but skipped mowing until now. Someone with a big property is nudging me to do maintenance for them. And I am semi-clueless about mower purchases. They have about 3/4 an acre of lawn. Which I'm judging to be a bit big for just getting two 21" mowers for. My first question ...

1. Is there room to negotiate mower prices?

Let me put it this way. At a Stark Street power equipment place in Sherwood, Oregon, I was looking at a 36" Exmark similar to the one in this link ... and the man ball-parked the price near $5000 ... did not write the specific model, but it's hydraulic steered, walk behind and 36"

http://www.richardsonsaw.com/exmark-...lk-behind.html

2. Would 2 of the newer 30" Exmark or Toro mowers be a feasible option for a lawn that size?

I was considering 2 of the 30" units, tagged about $1800 each, plus either a commercial 21" or a decent consumer grade 21" Honda for the fringes.

Odds are that I'd then seek a 2nd maintenance customer, but not sure beyond that at present.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

right now i do all residential, and of the 7 lawns i mowed yesterday evening, i pulled my 36'' off the trailer once. the rest was my 52''. depending on if there is a fence, look around for a walk behind 52 on craigslist or something.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Sponsor

Please double check the model number you were quoted as the Metros (attached link) are gear driven – not hydro driven (which would be our Viking) explaining the pricing difference.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like they priced you a Turf Tracer 36" walk behind. That was my first mower and it is perfect for small residencial yards, clean outs and hard to get areas. I hate having to drag around an extra mower now because my trailer is cramped but there isn't a day go by that I am not glad I have a 36" mower on the truck. My 48" Lazer Z can only get into so many places and some of the older homes have small gates and that is where the 36" Turf Tracer shines. I have a mulch kit on mine and a jungle jim sulky and you can really haul ass and cut some grass with it. You can't go wrong with a 36" TT in my opinion.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would get a 36" Hydro WB with sulky. Much more productive than a 30" push mower.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
I would get a 36" Hydro WB with sulky. Much more productive than a 30" push mower.
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I had a chance to measure the lawn today. On Google Earth last night, I approximated 19,000 square feet.

It appears to be closer to 16,000 square feet of area.

I'm still interested whether mower prices are negotiable with a dealer, in the same manner that automobile prices can be negotiable.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post

I had a chance to measure the lawn today. On Google Earth last night, I approximated 19,000 square feet.

I'm still interested whether mower prices are negotiable with a dealer, in the same manner that automobile prices can be negotiable.

I just purchased a new mower a few weeks ago and from my experience dealers are more willing to negotiate if you have cash and the mower is already on site. The best deal I found on the toro 30" was $1600 cash out the door. The dealer was fairly large and had many of them ready for purchase. Now if the dealer has to order the mower and you are financing dont expect much wiggle room.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

No wiggle room on the Ex 30 when i got mine, dealer couldn't keep them on the floor...I did find the Toro Turfmaster for 100 less tho but i like my dealer and i would have spent the difference in time and travel going to the other dealer...only a little wiggle room on the Ex TT36 b/c he would have had to order it.
Stihl FS110R- Edger/135* Bar Hedge trimmer
HS 81T
Stihl FS110R- string
Stihl 290 Farm Boss 20" bar
Stihl 361 25" bar
Stihl HT101 Pole Saw
Stihl MM55
Stihl BG86
Stihl BR550
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300- 2350 Loader w/ toothbar, 60" Kioti Aerator, 48" dethatcher, 60" back blade, 48" box blade, 3PTH pallet forks/carry all, 48" lawn roller
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Everything is negotiable, but I would be more interested in buying from a reputable dealer who has experienced/responsive mechanics and a good supply of parts. The few bucks you save up front may cost you in the long run if you just buy on price. Big question I always want an answer to from a dealer, is do you have loaner mowers.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call around to different dealers. I have found that prices varied considerably from dealer to dealer.

Just to give you an idea for mowers...In the past we would load out a 52" stander, 36" WB/sulky and a 21" push. Now the 21" doesn't even get loaded on the trailer. There is nothing we can't cut with the 36". It will cut steep hills and ditches when you raise the sulky and walk behind it or you can drop the sulky and ride @ 7+ mph in open areas. This makes for a very versatile and productive mower on smaller properties. It's fairly light and compact compared to our other mowers and it can cut tall overgrown fields or leave a very nice cut on treated, well-kept properties. If you decide to expand in the future and take on larger properties, all you would need to do is add a 52 or 61 Stander or ZTR and you are set. Don't forget a stick edger and commercial line trimmer.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino