Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2011, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Please help a "new guy" with mower issues

I recently purchased a husqvarna 48" hydro walk behind for my primary mower for this coming season. The mower runs great, and i got it for a pretty good price.
The issue im having with it is when i engage the blades, it stalls the mower. If it warms up for a while, and i play with the button a bit, i can get the blades going without stalling the engine but the whole mower shakes like crazy.
Im wondering what would cause this, and any ideas to fix the problem would be really helpful!! Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Please post model,serial and engine type etc. so we can further assist you. If this is a 2 cylinder engine then make sure engine is firing on both cylinders . You can do this by starting the engine and removing the plug wire from one spark plug.If the engine dies then the opposite side is not firing....
Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would start will the simple things first, i would take the belts off and see if all pullies move free, then check and adjust your clutch if needed, if its really cold, it will stall out, let it run for a while first then try it, if it doesnt stall then its fine... if it still stalls i would start looking at your engine,voltage regulator and carb..
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like it is a couple things. could be many things with the shaking...spindle or pully.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, its a 2004 Husqvarna WH4817 with a 17hp kawi v-twin. I took the deck belt off and all pullys and spindles spin freely. I also took a wire brush and cleaned each pully groove so i know the belt isnt sticking in the pullys. When the mower is at idle or full throttle, it runs nice and smooth. The only time i have an issue is when i engage the blades.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHPSLLC View Post
Sorry, its a 2004 Husqvarna WH4817 with a 17hp kawi v-twin. I took the deck belt off and all pullys and spindles spin freely. I also took a wire brush and cleaned each pully groove so i know the belt isnt sticking in the pullys. When the mower is at idle or full throttle, it runs nice and smooth. The only time i have an issue is when i engage the blades.
i got the exact same mower but is a 2005. i dont know how to fix your problem but i though i would let you know i got one. its a good mower!! i hope you get it working!! good luck!!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I had this trouble with the same motor on a walk behind mower.

Turned out to be it wasn't running on one cylinder. In my case, it actually turned out to be a fuel delivery problem. I took the fuel tank off, totally cleaned it out, put in a new filter and line and never had the problem again.

In my case it was a machine I bought used from someone---only had 200 hrs on it, but it had not been run a lot before I bought it. There was a lot of sludge in the bottom of the tank and it would flow to one carb all the time. I had to REALLY CLEAN it a lot--not just drain it out. Had to remove the tank from the machine, flush the heck out of it with solvent (carb cleaner) and then fill with new gas. I couldn't believe it would only affect one cylinder but it did. Drove me nuts for several days.

Do what the other guy suggested and pull one plug wire at a time. This is the easiest troubleshooting you will ever do.

The engine doesn't have enough balls on one cylinder to turn the blades.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMADDUX View Post
i got the exact same mower but is a 2005. i dont know how to fix your problem but i though i would let you know i got one. its a good mower!! i hope you get it working!! good luck!!
Can you recomend a good bagger to use with these mowers? Do you use one for yours?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Can you recomend a good bagger to use with these mowers? Do you use one for yours?
I don't have one right know. I am thinking of getting a Packem or Accelerator. they are both good. Good Luck
Matt
Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

So i found out today what is up with my mower. Bad news! It runs like crap with the blades engaged because its only running on one cyl. Apparantely it has a bad head, something happened with the exhaust valve falling out.... Anyway it sounds to me like the motor is junk, so now i dont know what im going to do since my plowing money is gone now and i have a mower i cant even use this season unless i find a good motor for it. Its been a bad day!