Register free!

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Mrusk

Does anyone know how he made out with tent city? Is the job finished? I would like to know if it was profitable working in the cold temps and dealing with the frost, etc... Anyone have any imput??
Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

hes in dallas till the 13th
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would like to see how his job is going to. last trend with his name on it was removed and i dont know why.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought maybe we lost him to the site as the admins have been sutting down threads. Its funny to see have such pride, heart and dedication to his work and people attack him. We all can learn from this, cocky gets you nowhere, At last glance I have never seen someone even attempt to do hardscaping in the winter, Thats dedication. So I wonder if he will ever try that winter work again????

So has anyine done any large winter work????
Old 01-11-2008, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You guys were way too hard on him. For crying out loud we're all learning. Each to his own. Now if the quality of his work sucked, then by all means rip him to shreds. But geez, his work looks amazing. Some of the best I've seen on this site...
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradeMan View Post
I thought maybe we lost him to the site as the admins have been sutting down threads. Its funny to see have such pride, heart and dedication to his work and people attack him. We all can learn from this, cocky gets you nowhere, At last glance I have never seen someone even attempt to do hardscaping in the winter, Thats dedication. So I wonder if he will ever try that winter work again????

So has anyine done any large winter work????
I think that CGLand and Mbella have still been doing some work, but i have not seen them post here in a while. Has anyone seen them???
Old 01-11-2008, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i am still doing winter work,lots actually its not impossible,rusk talks a big game but a least he posts pictures.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I must come out of the woodwork and say that I have actually had the privilege to see RUSK’S job first hand. (i.e. tent city) I took a ride down to his site a few weeks ago to see what he was up to. I did make quite a few independent observations:
1. The scale of this project is very large. The pictures that he took barely scratches the surface of the magnitude his project. There are so many different components to his job that it indeed will take significant time to complete, contrary to what anyone else who thinks they can do it faster (and better) than him.
2. Yes, it is a mess. More like a war zone in my opinion. There is dirt, tarps, pallets, machinery, etc. everywhere. He even had to build a wood deck/walkway to allow the homeowners to get to their front door! As I will say- you have to take the good with the bad: a big mess now will equate to a beautiful project when it is all done. And I do think Rusk is doing great work.
3. This project would deter most contractors from undertaking it. I said to myself: “I am glad this is not my project.” I mean the excavating alone that Rusk had to do was impressive. I think he had to arrange for something like 500 yards of to be excavated and removed from the property. Let me tell you, as a NJ contractor, I know how hard this can be especially if you can’t find anyone who wants it!
4. As I told him directly, he started this project way to late into the year. I knew he was going to battle the weather, and when you battle the weather with tarps, heaters, etc. it costs money. If he had started this in Spring, I’m sure it would have been less chaotic.
5. I was also shocked-but after doing some thinking- more “impressed” that Rusk actually contracted a job of this scale. I must congratulate him on his sales ability on this one. Being as young as he is, and to sell such a massive project without a much of a portfolio is great. I think that he must have really gained the homeowner’s trust and confidence somehow.

Rusk and I are acquaintances and actually ran into each other a few years ago at an estimate we both got a call for. I will say that he is not as bad a guy as this board portrays him to be. I do understand that he comes across having a major ego here on Lawnsite, but in actuality, he really is very passionate about his profession. All he talks about with me is work, his projects, and his problems. I don’t mind it. It is nice to see a young guy so passionate about his work. Rusk greatly wants to succeed in this business. And as most of you have found out, landscaping, especially hardscaping isn’t the easiest business to succeed in when you have to deal with things such as escalating insurance costs, difficulties finding good employees, and increased competition in this industry.

Jon

I Don't Just Build Landscapes- I Implement Dreams!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks jonmcmeen . its good that you saw his work first hand and are able to tell us that he is doing a good job.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 01-12-2008, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey- I'm a honest guy- so please feel free to ask ANY questions about his job. (I saw the plan before he contracted the project, I spent at least 2 hours at the site.)

Look- I'm not Rusk's public defender. To be honest- I had been reading his posts BEFORE i actually met him and I was like: "who does this guy think he is? What an a**" But once I got to know him- He really does have GREAT passion for this business.

Jon

I Don't Just Build Landscapes- I Implement Dreams!
Closed Thread