Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Client's neighbor over sprayed her garden area with 2,4 D....?

Yes one of my client's neighbors accidentally blasted an area of her organic garden with a hose end sprayer with a 24D product.

It wasn't noticed until the strawberries that hadn't been tilled look wilted and curled. Then when the neighbor was asked they fessed up to the over spray....?

What about he health concerns...?

Personally I avoid using "round up" around edibles.

Safe to replant now....?

If not now.....then .....How long...?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Without knowing what 2-4D product you are referring to I can't advise you on anything. There is multiple variations of Dichlorophenoxiatic Acid products out there.
In field studies conducted across the U.S. under actual use conditions, 2,4-D:
Had an average soil half-life of only five days with a range of less than two to about 13 days.
Although not strongly absorbed by soil, 95 percent or more of the residues were limited to only the top six inches of soil, and the maximum depth any residues were found was only 24 inches.
In grass and thatch, the average half-lives were less than seven days.
In natural water, the half-life is one to two weeks, and in treated rice paddy conditions, the half-life is as short as one day.

To be safe, I would tell them to remove the organic materials, till, and start over with something else.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dig the soil out and replace with new soil that is known to be organic. The 'organic' classification can not be realized UNTIL 3 years after the last 'cide was used.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to jump on you so much as the system that gives away license to untrained applicators. As a Real Professional I feel it is the lack of training requirements that brings down the Whole Pesticide Industry at a time when Granola Nuts are Hugging Trees and screaming Foul.

A real Professional would not have to ask this question. Instead they would consult the MSDS of 2,4-D and read Sections 11 and 12 for toxicological and Ecological information.

As far as her Granola Nut Organic Garden the Half life of 2,4-D is a few days to a few weeks. So plow under the damage and just replant. I am sure her Home garden doesn't have a Organic Certification to worry about.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/mp08K000.pdf

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric is correct of course, but if the granola nut claims she has an "Organic Garden", then plowing it under and moving forward with your life is not a satisfactory solution...
Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Of corse you surely wouldn't have access to the MSDS of the product because you don't know what product they used, specifically what else was in it that isn't on an MSDS for only 24d. You see the MSDS would follow the product not just one chemical in a product. Because the product used might have other chemicals in it you need to have a specific MSDS and label for that product. This is where a professional can offer expertise and advise while another tries to chastise his fellow greens industry co workers and try to look like he knows something when his facts are slightly off. To sum up you need to know exactly what was used. Granola nut or not it was her garden, on her property and the neighbor was at fault not you.
Posted via Mobile Device