Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Rough cut- my mower or myself? (pictures)

Last season I bought a new Redhawk 32 WB. I have always noticed a not so good cut, especially as of recent. When the grass is just somewhat long, I get lots of clumping and an uneven cut. I sharpen my blades daily so that isn't the problem. Even double cutting does not usually make the lawn look presentable. I primarily side discharge. Would mulching help? Below are a few pictures of a home I did yesterday. The grass was cut 6 days prior and the lawn was dry.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

cannot upload photos
Old 05-10-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 05-10-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

cannot see any pictures. Just some guesses; tire pressure is off, underside of deck needs to be scraped, blades might be sharp but are they balanced? Is the deck level? Not too sure other than that.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
cannot see any pictures. Just some guesses; tire pressure is off, underside of deck needs to be scraped, blades might be sharp but are they balanced? Is the deck level? Not too sure other than that.
I don't see how unbalanced blades will leave a bad cut? I don't balance my blades perfectly I get them close. When I've been in a rush to get my acreage cut I've put fresh sharpened blades but not balanced on and went to town with no difference in cut quality.

If I had a new mower that wasn't cutting good I'd take it back to my dealer if I've already checked the obvious: tire pressure, caster spacers the same, blade spacers the same, blades sharp, spindles good, deck clean and rpm correct.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
I don't see how unbalanced blades will leave a bad cut? I don't balance my blades perfectly I get them close. When I've been in a rush to get my acreage cut I've put fresh sharpened blades but not balanced on and went to town with no difference in cut quality.

If I had a new mower that wasn't cutting good I'd take it back to my dealer if I've already checked the obvious: tire pressure, caster spacers the same, blade spacers the same, blades sharp, spindles good, deck clean and rpm correct.
Who knows then, I was throwing out guesses. I would assume if a blad is totally unbalanced, not just a little like you said yours are sometimes, then I would suspect the blade wood "wobble" while spinning which I think would create a nasy uneven cut.

If the man sharpens his own blades and they are just a little off, then he can cross that guess off the list.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blades on upside down,belts loose and slipping or possibly rpm's are not around 3600-3700.Good place's to start.Good luck
Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Who knows then, I was throwing out guesses. I would assume if a blad is totally unbalanced, not just a little like you said yours are sometimes, then I would suspect the blade wood "wobble" while spinning which I think would create a nasy uneven cut.

If the man sharpens his own blades and they are just a little off, then he can cross that guess off the list.
Not gonna happen. If it's wobbling you got more problems than a unbalanced blade.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
Blades on upside down,belts loose and slipping or possibly rpm's are not around 3600-3700.Good place's to start.Good luck
Upside down was a thought I had as well.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah if your blades are upside down, I recommend you find a new line of work. .... even a Walmart push mower will cut grass. Since the OP hasn't replied back I assume he found he has been installing blades upside down.
Posted via Mobile Device