Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Disadvantages of being solo

Yes, i admit it, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Right now my friday customers think it's going to rain friday and want their yard cut thursday. They can't even see the problem with that. They're thinking is that i'm probably sitting at home waiting to cut their yard for the week. I haven't caught up yet, and i'm getting jammed up because of their paranoia. It's just frustrating. It's mother's day this weekend, but i'm not superman. Would you cut early to accommodate a request like this, or just say "if it rains, i'll catch up later"? Someone will be pissed. It's going to be the people i HAVE to push out thursday, or the friday customers who may get rained out.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm heading down the same road. I'm trying to get info on hiring a full time guy on the books. I definitely bit off way more then I can chew. I'm hoping I can get a full timer on to get caught up then focus on getting more. Just flowerbed work and mulching is going to yield what I grossed all last year! Add 5 more lawns with 2 being very large and it's a recipe for disaster.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Disadvantage of being solo, you cant get the help to edge chain link fences or line trim slopes!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No long vacation...or if you get hurt your screwed.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To me, playing catch up is the worst because it takes a month or so it seems just to get the yards back in order because of all the rain. I I had a guy that trimmed for me my life would be so much easier but also working a full time job and running my lawn service that would be to much trouble. Sooner than later ill have to choice but to go full time in lawn care. Mower gets stuck your first thought is, it's the end of the world what now. You never get stuck in a place the truck is able to get to easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
Yes, i admit it, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Right now my friday customers think it's going to rain friday and want their yard cut thursday. They can't even see the problem with that. They're thinking is that i'm probably sitting at home waiting to cut their yard for the week. I haven't caught up yet, and i'm getting jammed up because of their paranoia. It's just frustrating. It's mother's day this weekend, but i'm not superman. Would you cut early to accommodate a request like this, or just say "if it rains, i'll catch up later"? Someone will be pissed. It's going to be the people i HAVE to push out thursday, or the friday customers who may get rained out.
This is not a disadvantage of being a solo operator.

What this is an example of a bad business model. A business model with no plan to handle weather or mechcanical delays.

Say you have 40 lawns, 1 hr per lawn including drive time. If you had a helper then you would have 80 lawns, 2 lawns per hr including drive time. So if you got rained out on a friday you would still be in a bind.

I schedule mowings Mon - Thurs. I'd rather do 4 10 hr days then 5 8 hr days.
Friday is now open for to catch up if you fall behind. No more phone calls I don't want you coming Saturday to mow my lawn.

Friday is then opened up to do up sell work. No upsell work that week you get to give your body a needed rest and time to spend with family.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post

Customers have to be educated. No lawns scheduled for Friday's and the need to have a catch up day is lesson No. 1.

Now if a customer was going to have a tent put up to have a wedding in their back yard one weekend. I would show up early Friday to get the lawn done before the tent went up.

How many times does a customer have weddings in their back yard.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do people have the mindset their lawn care guy does nothing besides their yard? Sometimes I feel like a pizza delivery guy, people want it in 30 minutes, hot and fresh!
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The Mother's Day this year will have to do with out being all mowed. I mow 188 accounts Wen-Fri were lost today to rain tomorrow to rain and its suppose to rain Sat. Best guess Ill miss finishing by 75 to 100 lawns and people wonder what I hate all holidays all it's stress and nothing more in this trade.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 4 days a week and found that's the best way. If you can't do all your properties in 4 days then its time for at least a part time helper.
Posted via Mobile Device