Register free!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Molasses spraying

The other mention of molasses reminded me I need to play with some soon. Are we better off trying to spray through a PG Ultra or putting down dry. One is for organic applications the other is trying to build back beneficial microbes that have been killed off due to past fungicide use. Am I best off at the local farm store or would Lesco be able to get something quality?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sent you a PM.

Molasses is a food source for bacteria, it will do little to rebuild soil fungus.
Applying a fungal inoculant with humates, kelp and fish would be a better method.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-31-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Sent you a PM.

Molasses is a food source for bacteria, it will do little to rebuild soil fungus.
Applying a fungal inoculant with humates, kelp and fish would be a better method.
Not true, Barry. Tim Wilson is the one who told me to use molasses when testing compost and ACT for bacteria and fungi. Maybe it's not the ideal food for fungi, but it will grow it.

Also, I wouldn't try spraying molasses out of a PG ULTRA. Not enough volume and a good chance of gunking up the tips. I would walk it if possible or apply dry.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
Not true, Barry. Tim Wilson is the one who told me to use molasses when testing compost and ACT for bacteria and fungi. Maybe it's not the ideal food for fungi, but it will grow it.

Also, I wouldn't try spraying molasses out of a PG ULTRA. Not enough volume and a good chance of gunking up the tips. I would walk it if possible or apply dry.
I stand corrected, Tim did tell me the same thing. And you're right that there are better food sources to encourage fungal growth. And you are definitely right about not using PG ULTRA for spraying molasses!

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Will molasses kill nutsedge?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll be more clear. I have an account that has been brutalized from fungicides and constant lawn bagging. The bagging will unfortunately continue, but I'm looking to build back beneficial bacteria. This lawn the last year or two has become increasing more prone to disease and fungus issues and I contribute it to the earlier. My take based on the limited info I have about organics is that molasses should help.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
I'll be more clear. I have an account that has been brutalized from fungicides and constant lawn bagging. The bagging will unfortunately continue, but I'm looking to build back beneficial bacteria. This lawn the last year or two has become increasing more prone to disease and fungus issues and I contribute it to the earlier. My take based on the limited info I have about organics is that molasses should help.
Any organic fertilizer should help as well. Basically, you're trying to build up the good guys to help fight the bad guys. You don't necessarily need molasses per se, you just need to build up the populations of the good guys. I would do a soil test as well if one hasn't already been done.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Will molasses kill nutsedge?
I did use molasses to kill nutsedge a few years ago, but I forget the rate. Never tried it on customers properties, but was about to when I left my employer at the time. If you do a search of this forum you may find the rate I used.

Found the post. 16oz per gallon and I mixed with very warm water to break it down. I would try on your own lawn or around your shop before doing on customers lawns.

Last edited by NattyLawn; 05-31-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you for your help Natty! I'm going to have fun with this one.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
I did use molasses to kill nutsedge a few years ago, but I forget the rate. Never tried it on customers properties, but was about to when I left my employer at the time. If you do a search of this forum you may find the rate I used.

Found the post. 16oz per gallon and I mixed with very warm water to break it down. I would try on your own lawn or around your shop before doing on customers lawns.
Tell us more. How well did it work? Did it work selectively only on nutsedge?
Application techniques?

Franklin D. Roosevelt