Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They need more dealers. Several hours is a long way to go for blades or any other part. Wonder if they have a demo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They also need a bigger battery. 4 hrs isn't enough
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a recent electric bill that came to $75 at a usage rate of 620 kwh, which means electric power is costing near 12 cents per thousand watts used per hour.

According to some calculator it takes 1 kilowatt to generate 1.34 horse power, meaning that to produce 25 horses would take 18.6567 kilowatt hours... Which translates to a cost of $2.16 per hour in terms of electricity and wattage used, whether I have my math right is another story but the point is that everyone keeps forgetting to include the cost of the electricity it takes to recharge these batteries, not to mention the fossil fuels used to generate said electricity down at the power plant isn't exactly as "green" as we'd all like to think.

Then there is the cost of the batteries themselves, and the ecological complications involved in their disposal.

So maybe it's cheaper.
And maybe it isn't.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Their mower is only 18 horse. Here in mi most of our energy is neuclear which helps fight cancer. But I'd right that there is some cost. But if you had the investment you could build solar panels and actually get a check from your power company. About 14 grand pro installed. Muck less if you do it yourself. Just do silicon cells not copper else you won't get much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I saw a recent electric bill that came to $75 at a usage rate of 620 kwh, which means electric power is costing near 12 cents per thousand watts used per hour.

According to some calculator it takes 1 kilowatt to generate 1.34 horse power, meaning that to produce 25 horses would take 18.6567 kilowatt hours... Which translates to a cost of $2.16 per hour in terms of electricity and wattage used, whether I have my math right is another story but the point is that everyone keeps forgetting to include the cost of the electricity it takes to recharge these batteries, not to mention the fossil fuels used to generate said electricity down at the power plant isn't exactly as "green" as we'd all like to think.

Then there is the cost of the batteries themselves, and the ecological complications involved in their disposal.

So maybe it's cheaper.
And maybe it isn't.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I would like to add what it takes to make these batteries also. I read an article awhile back that the batteries in smart cars are way worse on the environment just to make them than if you would just my a car with a gas motor. Is using electric really going "green"?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That article is quite false. It may be harmfull to make and dispose of batteries. But consider using it for 30 years. That's a lot of avoided polution.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

birdman birdman!!!

go heat!!!

really going electric is not going totally green. going green in the real defintion is getting out there and mowing with a reel mower by hand. no batteries, no gas, no emissions, no cost except for buying the reel mower.

trimming with scissors. edging with a spade. that is the real greenest way you can do it but not very efficeint.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Not exactly it depends on what you ate to get the energy to push that reel mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
birdman birdman!!!

go heat!!!

really going electric is not going totally green. going green in the real defintion is getting out there and mowing with a reel mower by hand. no batteries, no gas, no emissions, no cost except for buying the reel mower.

trimming with scissors. edging with a spade. that is the real greenest way you can do it but not very efficeint.
wouldnt one of those long, flat, roundtiped shovles be better?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Not exactly it depends on what you ate to get the energy to push that reel mower.
Posted via Mobile Device