Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Member

JD 930a or Hustler X-one - Have to make a choice tomorrow!

Tomorrow is crunch day on purchasing a Zero turn. I have looked and tested many and it comes down to a choice beetween the John Deere 930a 60" with MOD deck or a hustler x-one 60" with a VX deck.

Mowing about 7 acres of horse paddock/pasture (grass never gets that long, more about taking the top of the weeds off!)

Need some advice on the finer details for those that are more mechanically minded than me.

The hustler comes in $1000 cheaper.

Both machines seem very similar, both have Kawasaki FX motors (jd is 26hp, hustler 31hp) More is better yeah??

Hustler has the flex front forks, bonus, as my ground is uneven. undecided if they make a difference thou - the JD seems to have a much better seat to compensate.)

JD has the mod deck, which i like, as it protects house windows and passing cars from flying rocks.

Am I correct that the Hustler has a better hydralic system than the John Deere?

Down here in Oz i think the JD will have better resell value.

Any thoughs on which is the better unit. Grass is growing and I cant delay any longer!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Get a super z
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my 930a Z. I have the striping roller, suspension seat - which is much more comfortable then the stock seat!

I also added the comfort & convenience package - it's a button at the end of the hydro stick that operates a electric deck lift. The button on the other stick is a PTO shut off.

The cut is excellent with the 7iron Pro deck - I dont have the mod deck. If the grass is wet the mod deck may not side discharge as well as the standard deck.

The Kawasaki motor is ample power even in tall thick grass. No complaints with it.

Maintenance is easy - very few grease zerts, changing oil and filter is simple, fuel filter and air filter easy too. I highly recommend the 930a Z.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you should read some of Mickhippy's threads/posts. He lives down there and has had issues with the VX4 deck leaving some serious clumping behind at the dsicharge side.

That said, I like the X-1, but would choose the 930 anyway. The 7 Iron doesn't have the same QOC issues that the new VX4 seems to in many places. I don't believe that the X-1 has any better hydraulics either. They don't use the Hyper Drive system that the SZ uses.

The actual HP on the 930 under the new rating system is 25.5 not 26 (not a big deal but wanted to point that out), while the Kawi's that Hustler is using on the X-1 have to be NOS engines because they are still wearing the older less accurate rating system stickers. The FX850 that they use that say 31 are now rated at a true 27 HP. I have one in my Z950/60" MOD. It is plenty of engine for that size deck.

I have not had any problems at all discharging wet grass with the MOD deck. It will get a little more build up under it than the standard 7 iron Pro deck does, but not that much. Certainly no where near as much as many other brands do.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am not a big deere fan so a little biased, but i say get the x1 and then add a grammer msg65 seat to it. For what u are ciutting i am sure the vx will be great, they have had updates to the deck... less than the deere, 4 year warranty, better motor, trans, no brainer for me. With the flex forks and the nice seat would be much better ride
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I am not a big deere fan so a little biased, but i say get the x1 and then add a grammer msg65 seat to it. For what u are ciutting i am sure the vx will be great, they have had updates to the deck... less than the deere, 4 year warranty, better motor, trans, no brainer for me. With the flex forks and the nice seat would be much better ride
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sure you know this RD, but it's the exact same engine. Only difference is the throttle plate on the FX 850 opens fully to allow more air/fuel mix into the carb compared the one on the FX 801. The rest of the emgine is virtually the same.

This was lifted right from Hustler's site just now for the X-1-

•2-year / no hour limit or 5 year / 500 hour limited warranty•Limited Lifetime warranty on the frame and leading edge of the deck

Deere has 3 years or 1500 hours whichever comes first, and/or 2 year unlimited hours. (if you go past 1500 hours in your first two years, the warranty doesn't go to 3 years, but if you are at say 1300 and reach 2 years, you are covered completely until you either hit 1500 hours or 3 years). Either way the Deere warranty is better than either the std X-1 or the new X-1i's.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 12-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Tell me about all these updates to deere decks?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere but thats just my opinion

Kubota 2620 W/Loader 60"Mower, 52" SnowBlower
JD 48" WalkBehind
Stihl Trimmer/Blower/ChainSaw
21" Husky mower w/Honda 160
36" Cub Cadet/Lesco G1336
Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Didnt know they stepped up to the 5 year for homeowner, thats sweet. With 7 acres he is gonna average around 80 120 Hours a year assuming he cuts like we do, so the warranty is hella better than the 3 year deer warranty. Yeah, same block on motor, but the 850 magically produces more torque. Same with a kubota gas motor, its exactly identacle to the diesel motor, same components, but there is is still a substantial difference when u throw the diesel into the equation. They are almost same money too so most push into diesel just as most push into the 850 as a better setup. Hey green, guy wants to know how much torque his 31hp yanmar produces could u pm me for him? Its a 2010 997...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a JD 950 with 1500 hours on it and no problems except a throttle cables and deck belts. The hydros are still smooth and responsive. I don't agree that the X1 has a better trans as was stated before. The trans on the deere has integrated pumps and motors so there are a lot less possible leak points and it has the cross porting which routes the cooler fluid to the pump and motor doing the most work. If you are going to be cutting weeds the JD 7-iron or the Scag Velocity decks are the way to go in my opinion.