Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Arrow John Deere Owners Thread

Due to lack of people remembering or being able to find the groups I will make a us a forum thread and we can just use it instead.

People forget about the groups plus they are limited on use such as posting pictures etc.

So I will start the thread off with a shot of my 2014 920M 48" day after I brought it home not even at 2 month mark and going on 200 hours already, had only offload time on it when I bought it came straight from factory.

Got the best dealer I have ever had very large JD green dealer 3-JD Ag dealers combined into one very large location 5 minutes from my home.

Wished it was still this clean

Plan on trading in soon for a larger deck once I can find a decent trailer place around me with what I need due to being very localized here it is hard to find.

You can Subscribe to thread using thread tools to above right of this post and keep updated.
Attached Images

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Okie Dokie the 2014 Z960R, here is pretty much everything I have done to it and the front tires are also JD OEM, but they are pneumatic to take out the front end bounce.
Z960R

Mower with Lights and Sun Canopy

Right side with Power Chute

The 7 Iron Deck

Floor Board and Power Chute Foot Pedal

Back-up light just encase I get to mow at night

Donaldson Air Filter Restriction Monitor

2014 John Deere Z960R with 7 Iron Pro Deck

Stihl:
Chain Saws: 029 Farm Boss, MS291, MS391
Weed eaters: FS85R, FS110R, FS130R, FS250R
Polesaw: HT131
Leaf Blower: SG86

Honda:
(2) EU2000i Generators

Husqvarna
HU800WH 22" Self Propel Push Mower with Honda Engine
HU625HWT 22" Weed-eater on wheels.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice bud you got it rigged up and ready.

First I have seen of the Donaldson Air Filter Restriction Monitor what purpose does it serve?

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Replacing filters based on restriction readings can reduce your maintenance costs significantly. Visual inspection of air filters is not adequate and should not dictate service life. Filters that appear very dirty may still contain a great amount of service life.Over-servicing and excessive handling of the filter can result in serious consequences: filter damage, improper installation, intake contamination from ambient dust, and/or increased service cost, time and material.

In contrast, filter service based on restriction readings can enable you to obtain the longest life possible from
the filter, and the best engine protection.
Per Donaldson's information.

I am still on the fence of the 915b vs 920m. Not sure the KW engine, rear scalps and metal bumper is worth an extra $1100.....

I mean, the Kohler isn't a bad engine.....is it?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kohler's lack power in tall grass especially wet and lack on power with hills / inclines, any good dealer will tell you so, people like them a lot when they have smooth level yards that are gravy.

But yes the xtra $1100 for the "7 Iron PRO" is very much worth it best deck around.

915B has 7 Iron II
http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...z915b_48.page?

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Gah! You suck! You keep coming up with good reasons to suck it up and go the 920m route lol!!!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pro deck is on another level man, Kawi's like gas but pure power.

I use Kawi's tried Kohler did not like them even my dealer said not to get one because he knows my terrain well, it sucks here stays damp till noon or later on mountain, freaking hilly everywhere.

EDIT

set up a demo of both then you will see the difference that way you won't be regreting not getting the 920 with PRO deck

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Old 07-30-2014, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now I'm gonna pour a little fuel on the fire LOL

The 7 Iron Pro and the 7 Iron II are the same exact deck. I've owned both, as well as the MOD. The only difference in them is the II version doesn't come with a metal step as can be seen in this link,-

http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/s...mower_deck.jpg

it doesn't come with rear gauge wheels, and has a slightly different shaped front baffle (which is exactly like the one in my new Pro deck shell (which was made in 2011 with the front baffle change coming in 2012), and which I prefer over the newer more sharply pointed version on the latest version of the Pro since it flows the grass clippings better). The II version used to have a round wear bar, but now it is flat steel just like the Pro version.

You can upgrade the 915B with wider front pneumatic tires too, but the ones that come on it ride very well. I owned a set a few years back on the 915's predecessor.

For resale purposes, the 920 will bring more, but then you have to pay more up front.

The biggest reason I'd go with the 920 is for the rear gauge wheels and the cast iron rear bumper. It adds a lot of weight and makes handling much better, plus I prefer Kawi's if they are not EFI.

This is a pic of what the 7 Iron II used to look like 3 years ago-
Attached Images

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 07-30-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought the baffles were still the same on the Pro II's hmm, I cannot go without rear anti-scalps around here the bumper comes in handy to but still not figured out a mount position for home made striper kit with the rollers lol

You still going to make that change you told me about? better get a scraper and a bucket if you mow a lot lol

Fab vs stamped = Fab clog points everywhere

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Souther tide you don't know as much as you think on the decks, bother decks are basically the same and you can add the rear anti scalp kit cheap. I have a 915B and it has plenty of power.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
john deere , owners