Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are really cracking me up!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well demos were pretty much a bust after close to 11 hrs of driving. Rained all day and had rained there day before hard and steady. Even had some standing water in ditches. Tons of cutters running around in the rain. Saw a large bank lot being cut by a big JD and was double cutting to get rid of the the wind rows and clumps. Turned out the Cheetah was a 52" with a bagger, which meant single slower speed and smaller frame and everything. Machine was just ok IMO. Suspension system was pretty good and I like that the sticks move with the platform instead of having to fight movement of a suspension seat. Only cut for a total of about 30-45 min. on two different properties and mostly on a V Ride so I could see dispersal. Overall I was pretty impressed with the dispersal considering the moisture. Out of the three, the Cheetah seems more muddled up with more things running here and there, bolted together and busy, just not quite as cleanly laid out as the X and SZ. I hate to say it out loud but with all the pluses such as large tanks, good deck, speed, etc. I think they're the ugliest of the the three not that looks should play a big role in machinery I guess.

I then attempted a demo on a Lazer S at two different dealers which are part of the same company. A lot of bad info. First place I went had a 48" but had a mulching kit so I didn't push to demo. Drove another 45 min each way to sister store to demo the 52" to get there and find my contact person gone and the runner up person gone as well, no grass to cut but three nappy thin strips and roots, and not willing to take it somewhere with grass. The few roots I drove over rocked my world compared to what I'm use to.

So I'm still gonna try and demo the SZ HD but I still maybe just closing my eyes and picking when it's all said and done.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a shame. I have a very good dealer and can take a machine for a day or two if he has it in his demo rotation. If its not, and my eXmark wasn't (to new and rare), the distributor would bring one out to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I just picked up 2 of the 60" x series with the new red tech as well. Put 5 hours on each today and changed the oil. I tracked the fuel consumption as I will continue to do for a while. One got 1.7 GPH and the other 1.6GPH... I hope this gets a little better now that the first oil change has been done and it breaks in a little more. Each was only used in "economy" for 30-45 minutes. I am coming from using two kubota ZD326 and i must say that these cut exceptionally better wet or dry grass!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you may need a few more hours between fill ups, and be very careful filling the tanks. It's tough to actually fill them all the way up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I noticed that. The top 1/4 you gotta fill slow. Will probably put 5-7 on each one today so we will see. We fill up at our shop so they get filled nightly regardless of hours. Ill keep you guys informed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you have a metered pump at your shop then?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes and it is older and could be off a little as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Put a little over 6 hours on one of them today. A mix of about 50% efficient decently easy mowing and 50% max throttle cutting very thick and moving pretty quick. 1.44 GPH Average
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by imowgrass4you View Post
Put a little over 6 hours on one of them today. A mix of about 50% efficient decently easy mowing and 50% max throttle cutting very thick and moving pretty quick. 1.44 GPH Average
Posted via Mobile Device
That's pretty good for a BB engine like that. Got any pics of you cuts?