Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:30 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
What about the ride difference, I don't believe it possible for a mower 12" shorter and 300 lbs lighter to ride anywhere close in comparison, as a matter of fact I know it to be impossible...What is your thoughts on the ride difference?

The hydro's have got to be a difference in what a person has been use to over the years, there is no smoother or higher quality built ztr hydraulics manufactured today than the Super Z's HyperDrive system. I can operate my 72" Super Z with one hand while mowing, but the flex forks remove a great deal of the bumps that may have given you a problem. I would say the jerkiness needs to be associated with what the operator is, or is not use to, there is no better hydraulic dampeners than those on a Super Z. I will admit, hydraulic-wise other mowers do feel sluggish in comparison.

MT will verify there is no better hydraulic operation than that of the new (or old for that matter) Hustler Super Z, really nothing even close.
What other hydro systems have you tried? Hustler has a looong history of hydro problems. Only time will tell on the new hyper drive...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 PM
mtmower's Avatar
mtmower mtmower is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Western Montana
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
What other hydro systems have you tried? Hustler has a looong history of hydro problems. Only time will tell on the new hyper drive...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reps are saying they have clocked several machines (probably in FL) with well over 5000 hrs. on them and zero hydro problems on the Hyper Drive. That and with how the specs look on paper and lets not forget the best warranty in the industry keeps any worries down to nonexistent. So IMO hydros are a positive all the way around and not a negative.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:42 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Reps are saying they have clocked several machines (probably in FL) with well over 5000 hrs. on them and zero hydro problems on the Hyper Drive. That and with how the specs look on paper and lets not forget the best warranty in the industry keeps any worries down to nonexistent. So IMO hydros are a positive all the way around and not a negative.
Now this is useful info. Thanks MT. Good news for Hustler! Now they need to fix the VX4.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 PM
mtmower's Avatar
mtmower mtmower is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Western Montana
Posts: 1,103
Amen brother. It seems to come down to geographic market share as to what is built. Then it seems to brake down as to production speed, where it cuts at super fast speeds but doesn't process, or slow her down and process. If we could just get a happy medium. Maybe it's there in the Lazer and the Scagg. I haven't put enough time on them personally to know yet. This is why I hound everyone on here I can for info.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:59 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Amen brother. It seems to come down to geographic market share as to what is built. Then it seems to brake down as to production speed, where it cuts at super fast speeds but doesn't process, or slow her down and process. If we could just get a happy medium. Maybe it's there in the Lazer and the Scagg. I haven't put enough time on them personally to know yet. This is why I hound everyone on here I can for info.
You seem to have some very unique cutting conditions up there. Im curious which deck will come out on top? My feeling is the velocity may give you that carpeting of clippings like you get now. My gut tells me the ultra cut is going to give you that lift with smaller clippings. I just dont know how much wet cutting you do? Its unavoidable here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM
mtmower's Avatar
mtmower mtmower is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Western Montana
Posts: 1,103
This is my question as well. Looking at the decks I don't see huge differences. I'm still trying to verify which of the velocity decks if any come with the turbo baffle pictured and how much if any difference this makes in the clipping size and dispersal. The 48" didn't have one even though their web site pic of the underside of the deck shows one in place. Maybe it's just on the larger decks?

I'm thinking a velocity with MOD option which changes it to a 6series on the fly.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
What other hydro systems have you tried? Hustler has a looong history of hydro problems. Only time will tell on the new hyper drive...
Posted via Mobile Device
Basically every mower worth owning you can name including Gravely, and it was a new Pro-Ride 260. I will get a 400 series to operate in the new future, and I can guarantee it will be a great mower, but I can also guarantee it will not operate hydraulically as well as my HD, nor will it ride as well, but if it does you will know, I will tell you exactly the way it is.

Comparing the Gravely 472 to my 72" Super Z you cannot expect the Gravely to ride nearly as good with it being 5" shorter and 167 lbs. lighter, it can't happen, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the real difference feels like.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Basically every mower worth owning you can name including Gravely, and it was a new Pro-Ride 260. I will get a 400 series to operate in the new future, and I can guarantee it will be a great mower, but I can also guarantee it will not operate hydraulically as well as my HD, nor will it ride as well, but if it does you will know, I will tell you exactly the way it is.

Comparing the Gravely 472 to my 72" Super Z you cannot expect the Gravely to ride nearly as good with it being 5" shorter and 167 lbs. lighter, it can't happen, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the real difference feels like.
I was just trying to understand how you came to your conclusion and state it as fact. I didnt realize you have used every mower worth owning or put on enough hours to gauge reliability.

The 5400's are the smoothest and most responsive hydros I have ever used. But I have never tried the hyper drive. Based on numbers it would seem the super z would ride better. I can guarantee its not as comfortable as a 400 series with air seat and isolated platforms.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 PM
mtmower's Avatar
mtmower mtmower is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Western Montana
Posts: 1,103
The new HD is the best riding mower I've used. Even pre flex forks. The Cheetah I demoed for a short time was nice but still not as nice as the HD. But the Cheetah I demoed was not full size it was the 52" which is a smaller chasis and weighs less so it was not a fare comparison. I hope to demo a 61" Cheetah yet. That's all I'm gonna say.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
OK...Today was oil change day. 69 hours. First change was at 4.2hrs, now at 69hrs. Both times Castrol HD30 dino oil. Will likely switch to Amsoil SAE 30/10w-30 small engine after this as I really like this oil and my old Kohler really liked it.

It's a real breeze to change oil on this thing. Everything is easy. Virtually no spillage!
Attached Images
 
__________________
TLS
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Page generated in 0.09172 seconds with 8 queries