Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #161  
Old 06-08-2013, 09:56 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
The new HD is the best riding mower I've used. Even pre flex forks. The Cheetah I demoed for a short time was nice but still not as nice as the HD. But the Cheetah I demoed was not full size it was the 52" which is a smaller chasis and weighs less so it was not a fare comparison. I hope to demo a 61" Cheetah yet. That's all I'm gonna say.
I need to demo a 61" cheetah on my accounts. In the parking lot at the dealer didnt do it justice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 06-08-2013, 09:58 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
OK...Today was oil change day. 69 hours. First change was at 4.2hrs, now at 69hrs. Both times Castrol HD30 dino oil. Will likely switch to Amsoil SAE 30/10w-30 small engine after this as I really like this oil and my old Kohler really liked it.

It's a real breeze to change oil on this thing. Everything is easy. Virtually no spillage!
I also use the Amsoil small engine. Great stuff!! I love the US flag on your machine!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 06-08-2013, 10:03 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Two days after I brought it home, the ROPS was removed. Doing this took weight off the rear of the mower. I found myself at a loss of traction, and as soon as the front end pointed down hill, rear traction was gone.

I looked into it further and found a steel plate bolted to the underside of the foot platform. As soon as I removed this, it went back to normal. I think the balance is even better now!

Here is everything I removed and the respective weights of each (lbs):

Weight Plate - 21.5
U section of ROPS - 23.5
Trim side ROPS post - 7.0
Seatbelt - 2.0
OEM discharge chute - 5.5

That's 59.5 pounds of unneeded "stuff"
Attached Images
 
__________________
TLS
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 PM
mtmower's Avatar
mtmower mtmower is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Western Montana
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Two days after I brought it home, the ROPS was removed. Doing this took weight off the rear of the mower. I found myself at a loss of traction, and as soon as the front end pointed down hill, rear traction was gone.

I looked into it further and found a steel plate bolted to the underside of the foot platform. As soon as I removed this, it went back to normal. I think the balance is even better now!

Here is everything I removed and the respective weights of each (lbs):

Weight Plate - 21.5
U section of ROPS - 23.5
Trim side ROPS post - 7.0
Seatbelt - 2.0
OEM discharge chute - 5.5

That's 59.5 pounds of unneeded "stuff"
Back on topic!!

Now that's some useful information for sure! Was the plate you removed just for ballast or did it have some other function. Did you ever figure out a way to reroute the fuel vent tubes that ran through the lower ROPS upright so you could eliminate the complete system?

I'm right there with you on the LOFs. I do my first around 4 hrs. Second around 49 hrs. Then switch at the third change to Amsoil. I also use Amsoil filters when available on all changes and if not I use OEM filters. One difference is when switching to Amsoil I usually bump the viscosity up the next notch. This is due to finding oil pressure dropping slightly on previous engines when making the switch. I had a 24 Honda on my first SZ that when good and hot when I came down to idle or kicked on the deck pto at low rpms the oil light would flicker. Dealer check it out and found no problems. Called Honda and they said they do not recommend synthetics in their engines supposedly (this is back in '98ish). Bump up to a 10w-40 synthetic and all was well. I believe the next step in Amsoil small air cooled engine oil is a 15w-40 IIRK.

P.S. I'm calling your insurance provider and giving here this thread!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Funny you mention the oil light!

My first demo was a 24hp Honda SuperZ. I thought it was a dog (power wise), and it's what prompted me to go with the biggest engine at the time 28EFI. The oil pressure light did flicker at idle and I mentioned it to the rep.

My oil pressure light DOES slightly flicker on the new eXmark at idle when it's hot. No other time. And this is with straight 30 weight. A thin 10W-30 Mobil-1 for instance would likely keep it on more often. If I was into straight weight oil, I guess I could go to 40 weight during the summer.

I read where the small engine HD30/10W-30 is a pretty thick oil viscosity wise, so I don't think there will be issues with this.
__________________
TLS
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 06-09-2013, 01:13 AM
mtmower's Avatar
mtmower mtmower is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Western Montana
Posts: 1,111
TLS I'm coming out your way next week and wish I had a little extra time to meet you. I'll be in New Holland for my parents 50th. Already have a full schedule with trying to see family and all. Even have three demos set up. Scag, Exmark, and Ferris. Might as well try them somewhere since it's close to impossible here. It's night and day from here to there when it comes to availability of service. My mother's side of the family is in the Telford area. I'm trying to brace myself for the humidity again!
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:35 AM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
New Holland isn't too far from where I work my morning job, and Telford isn't too far from where I live. Humidity isn't all that bad....yet. What dealers are you visiting for the Demos?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I was just trying to understand how you came to your conclusion and state it as fact. I didnt realize you have used every mower worth owning or put on enough hours to gauge reliability.

The 5400's are the smoothest and most responsive hydros I have ever used. But I have never tried the hyper drive. Based on numbers it would seem the super z would ride better. I can guarantee its not as comfortable as a 400 series with air seat and isolated platforms.
Posted via Mobile Device
We are not discussing reliability, we are talking smoothness and functionality. I can drive a mower 100', turn around and drive it back an know exactly how the hydro's feel and operate. I'm only looking for the response and dampening of the system, that's all that interest me.

I've operated Scag, Toro, Exmark, Bad Boy, Bobcat, Woods, Great Dane, Gravely, Hustler, and Ferris that I can think of off hand. Some of these mowers I've operated extensively, some only a short time, but all long enough to fully understand the feel and smoothness of their hydraulic operation. I am now going to find out if all you say is true about the 400 series Gravely. I can already tell you the Gravely will not ride and operate as good as my longer, heavier Super Z with flex forks and suspension seat, but if it just so happens that it is comparable or I should consider it better, I can promise, you will hear the truth.

I will run them in the same area while moving from one mower to the other, this way there is no forgetting how the ride actually feels, when too much time elapses between operation of two mowers the human mind can transform the thought process.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:27 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
We are not discussing reliability, we are talking smoothness and functionality. I can drive a mower 100', turn around and drive it back an know exactly how the hydro's feel and operate. I'm only looking for the response and dampening of the system, that's all that interest me.

I've operated Scag, Toro, Exmark, Bad Boy, Bobcat, Woods, Great Dane, Gravely, Hustler, and Ferris that I can think of off hand. Some of these mowers I've operated extensively, some only a short time, but all long enough to fully understand the feel and smoothness of their hydraulic operation. I am now going to find out if all you say is true about the 400 series Gravely. I can already tell you the Gravely will not ride and operate as good as my longer, heavier Super Z with flex forks and suspension seat, but if it just so happens that it is comparable or I should consider it better, I can promise, you will hear the truth.

I will run them in the same area while moving from one mower to the other, this way there is no forgetting how the ride actually feels, when too much time elapses between operation of two mowers the human mind can transform the thought process.
Actually I have had hydro systems feel better after time so 100' is not a good test IMO. Plus without reliability all else is worthless. Just like the cut quality of the VX4. A machine without good cut quality is worthless to me. Everything else may be perfect but double or triple cutting is a waste of time.

Dont forget to post pics of your 400 series demo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Actually I have had hydro systems feel better after time so 100' is not a good test IMO. Plus without reliability all else is worthless. Just like the cut quality of the VX4. A machine without good cut quality is worthless to me. Everything else may be perfect but double or triple cutting is a waste of time.

Dont forget to post pics of your 400 series demo.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is only due to difference of cutting in my area versus yours, what is useless to you in your area may be more profitable due to time being money for LCO's in my area. The cut of the VX4 must be as satisfactory to those that mow for a living in my area; as it is to me, if this were not fact my dealer would not have sold well over 200 of the Hustlers this year.

He has sold around 400+ Hustlers and Bobcats combined this year, and around 50 Gravely's, I realize you have no idea of what this means, but it means Gravely is picking up a larger share of his sales than in previous years, which is a good thing for his business.

I see trailers with Super Z's and X-ONE's constantly, along with seeing many others physically mowing grass in large numbers, as a matter of fact, for every one Gravely I see mowing or on a trailer, I will see 30 Hustlers filling the same need.

The LCO's in this area of the country are picking up on the Gravely's, but I really don't understand why it has been so slow, is there that much difference in price?

I know my dealer said he could sell a new Hustler Super Z HD 60" for $11,600, that seems like a good price, but I honestly don't know.

What would the going price be for a comparable 400 series Gravely?

Maybe someone else can give the price they've been quoted for the Super Z HD and the 400 series Gravely in their area as a comparison.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Page generated in 0.08979 seconds with 8 queries