Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-18-2014, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

using 20-50 oil was one of the first changes they came out with after the mowers were available. I'm surprised your dealer didn't tell you this.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's going to be a $500 rebate on this mower Sept. 1st.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, my story continues. I mow our school district and I do the football field. Bagger, ran two hours on efficient. Fill up before and after. 1.2 gallons per hour. Not bad i guess. Next I measured out (low on oil) and put in 11.5 oz, I had 12 in cup but I figure you never get the last drop out. Then after I finished and refill I mowed for 4 hours straight with no stopping, that is except for the mower going into limp mode....i was cuzzing it towards the end. Then I would try to re-start, it would just click, and click and click. Brake on, brake off, get off seat, get on, finally were a go. This was all yesterday (friday). This morning we needed to catch up due to rain so I helped mow. I was a quart low on oil already. This is after roughly 6-7 hours of mowing the day before. I add oil, right up there on dip stick, but yet again, flat open terrain and constantly shutting off. So tonight I drained the oil and filter after 35 hours and put in 20 - 50 oil. I guess lets see what next week brings. As far as my dealer - i jumped dealers this year. Why - past dealer was 35 miles away, a new dealership open here in town 10 minutes or less from my shop. Exmark and husky equipment. But he is also a farm equipment dealer. Boils down to $15K mower or $150K piece of equipment. I come in the shop and there like, really, we need to work on that little thing, and yes it'll just sit for a week, call them and say I need it, there like yes were on it after we finished this big repair job on X equipment. So no they never told or do they know about the oil or anything about the mower really. So even though dealer is close, not always the best of choices!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Ok, my story continues. I mow our school district and I do the football field. Bagger, ran two hours on efficient. Fill up before and after. 1.2 gallons per hour. Not bad i guess. Next I measured out (low on oil) and put in 11.5 oz, I had 12 in cup but I figure you never get the last drop out. Then after I finished and refill I mowed for 4 hours straight with no stopping, that is except for the mower going into limp mode....i was cuzzing it towards the end. Then I would try to re-start, it would just click, and click and click. Brake on, brake off, get off seat, get on, finally were a go. This was all yesterday (friday). This morning we needed to catch up due to rain so I helped mow. I was a quart low on oil already. This is after roughly 6-7 hours of mowing the day before. I add oil, right up there on dip stick, but yet again, flat open terrain and constantly shutting off. So tonight I drained the oil and filter after 35 hours and put in 20 - 50 oil. I guess lets see what next week brings. As far as my dealer - i jumped dealers this year. Why - past dealer was 35 miles away, a new dealership open here in town 10 minutes or less from my shop. Exmark and husky equipment. But he is also a farm equipment dealer. Boils down to $15K mower or $150K piece of equipment. I come in the shop and there like, really, we need to work on that little thing, and yes it'll just sit for a week, call them and say I need it, there like yes were on it after we finished this big repair job on X equipment. So no they never told or do they know about the oil or anything about the mower really. So even though dealer is close, not always the best of choices!
The engine is using entirely too much oil and it sounds as if the electronics also has problems. You need to talk directly with Exmark and tell them your story in timeline fashion (402) 223-6300. Keep us informed of what Exmark has to say about your problems.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

News today with my troubled xmark. Changed oil over the weekend to 20w 50. I think that is the ticket. Mower never did shut off or go limp. But when bagging today a few times shut machine off, talk to client etc, nothing. Sticks out, brake on/off, get off seat, finally its a go. Not sure on this one....but so far the oil must be key - and no dealer said nothing about it either.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer 46 View Post
using 20-50 oil was one of the first changes they came out with after the mowers were available. I'm surprised your dealer didn't tell you this.
Any thoughts, pros/cons, about switching to 20W-50 on the 749 EFI?

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-27-2014, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mowed today with the mower. It went limp a dozen times or so. Really not sure. I am down just a tad on oil since saturday. Also if I let it sit running, say to talk to employee, quick drink etc, it goes limp mode. Shut off, etc like I said before and then were good again. Next rain day, talking to dealer yet again.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Mowed today with the mower. It went limp a dozen times or so. Really not sure. I am down just a tad on oil since saturday. Also if I let it sit running, say to talk to employee, quick drink etc, it goes limp mode. Shut off, etc like I said before and then were good again. Next rain day, talking to dealer yet again.
You've got an electronic sensing problem or weak oil pump, your mower should not be transferring itself into limp mode for any reason other than lowering oil pressure being recognized by an accurate sensor. No matter what oil is being used inside viscosity range, what you are seeing should not be taking place, low oil is what should cause the sensor to react, not viscosity within temperature range parameters. You definitely seem to have a sensing problem, but for the engine to use 1/2 oz. of oil per hour, this is not a problem, and part of an air-cooled engines cooling ability. We don't particularly care to add oil on a regular basis, but Kohler will tell you they won't consider a warranty claim unless the usage gets into the 2 oz. per hr. range, of which I personally believe to be very excessive.

Please let us know the outcome, this has become an interesting story.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

update........call kohler and exmark...numerous calls and they did help some what. Talked to my exmark dealer, brought it in, your low and oil, added oil, I get a bill for $65, back to shop, say no way, mower just doesnt run, back again, so forth is the story. Ok, I talk to my regular small engine guy - takes his 2 minutes as he is a kohler dealer and tech and says here is a bulliten from them and exmark regarding the DCU on the engine. Ok, talk to yet another small engine guy who strictly builds engines for go carts - ships them all over the world, there impressive, he says same thing. Back to dealer, dropped it off last week weds, as of saturday nothing, I call complaining.....poor service, poor everything (as I said earlier they are a large farm equipment dealer) finally today I get a call, I run down there, engine in pieces, they say using oil, but everything looks and checks out well, they call kohler and now kohler is sick of babysitting and they said fine, kohler is sending a new engine. I brought in the bulliten about this DCU, they never heard of such a thing, wondered where I got that info from and at this point no need to worry bc kohler is shipping new engine. I think great, new engine but at the same time, what really is the problem?? So thats where I am at as of today. Mower has 167 hours on it at this time for your info.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ Incompetence at its best! I feel for ya', man.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer