Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I am just pondering here so I may be way off, but here's what I am thinking-

many of the top cutting decks don't have that baffle, but have plenty of lift, even at the right side blade. The 7 Iron and V+ immediately come to mind. I am thinking that during difficult cutting conditions like wet/damp and/or thick/long grass () that removing that baffle would make for a slightly larger opening and allow some of the clippings to recirculate around the right blade, maybe enough to reduce clumping or at least change the discharge pattern enough to splay the clippings out in a wider pattern at an easier rate.

I would really like to get to test that theory sometime, or at least see if someone here could do it and then report on it here.
I have taken out that baffle on a couple of my mowers. Removing it does help a bit with clipping dispersal and clumping. Tradeoff is slightly less vacuum so not quite as crisp a cut. Very easy to remove and install.

Also, enlarged the opening 2" on the discharge on a 60" ultra cut. Cuts much better in wet conditions, much less clumping - up to a point and less packing of grass under the deck. Again, the tradeoff is loss of vacuum. Does not cut nearly as well in thin, wispy grass. Am thinking of having a baffle fabricated to fit the larger deck opening.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I am just pondering here so I may be way off, but here's what I am thinking-

many of the top cutting decks don't have that baffle, but have plenty of lift, even at the right side blade. The 7 Iron and V+ immediately come to mind. I am thinking that during difficult cutting conditions like wet/damp and/or thick/long grass () that removing that baffle would make for a slightly larger opening and allow some of the clippings to recirculate around the right blade, maybe enough to reduce clumping or at least change the discharge pattern enough to splay the clippings out in a wider pattern at an easier rate.

I would really like to get to test that theory sometime, or at least see if someone here could do it and then report on it here.
It's something to think about. The SCAG deck does have this baffle though. And I thought the 7 Iron does/did? A lot of decks have this turbo baffle, and quite frankly, most are well respected decks. One thing I did notice, my old UltraCut had a STRAIGHT turbo baffle. This Series 6 is slightly curved and much larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Looks like a very nice mower. The only thing that would scare me and always have me on edge is all the electronics.
I hear ya! But that's what good dealers and warranty are for. FWIW, I had absolutely no issues with the 28 Kohler EFI over the past 7 seasons.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
It's something to think about. The SCAG deck does have this baffle though. And I thought the 7 Iron does/did? A lot of decks have this turbo baffle, and quite frankly, most are well respected decks. One thing I did notice, my old UltraCut had a STRAIGHT turbo baffle. This Series 6 is slightly curved and much larger.

I hear ya! But that's what good dealers and warranty are for. FWIW, I had absolutely no issues with the 28 Kohler EFI over the past 7 seasons.
Most everything in today's world is run by electronics, and I can't understand for the life of me why people that have been running electronic component equipped vehicles for years and years are concerned about this. The 28 efi is by far the best mower engine I've ever owned and operated, and I feel assured you will find the same with your new Exmark. The thing about electronic, plug in, get a code, game over, but I have yet to have that need, no component failure, not even one little blip.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Today I ran through the initial tank of gas.

Went to gas station and only filled the Lazer tank.

I put 7.2hrs on it since last fill-up and pumped in 9.49 gallons.

I come up with 1.3 gal/hr.

This first tank consisted of 8-10" thick grass and only a few times was I able to use "EFFICIENT" mode. I wanted the most suction/power/discharge for all these lawns that I got backed up on the past week with rain.

Truthfully I was thinking that it would be closer to 2 gal/hr. I'm very pleased with the 1.3 and will continue to track it. When growth slows and I can use "EFFICIENT" mode, I can only imagine how much better it'll get.

I was a little surprised. I was watching the gauge and when the last bar disappeared, the red light came on (LOW FUEL). I was able to finish, but was constantly worried I'd run it dry. I was only able to squeeze in that 9.49 gallons. Is is common on these newer Lazers to have the LOW FUEL light come on with 2.5 gallons remaining?

My only complaint with the machine is the front caster tires. They have to be the equivalent of an air filled caster pumped up to 50 psi! I may look into going with some sort of air filled caster tire.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
I have taken out that baffle on a couple of my mowers. Removing it does help a bit with clipping dispersal and clumping. Tradeoff is slightly less vacuum so not quite as crisp a cut. Very easy to remove and install.

Also, enlarged the opening 2" on the discharge on a 60" ultra cut. Cuts much better in wet conditions, much less clumping - up to a point and less packing of grass under the deck. Again, the tradeoff is loss of vacuum. Does not cut nearly as well in thin, wispy grass. Am thinking of having a baffle fabricated to fit the larger deck opening.
Good info. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

You are of course, correct about the V+. I just simply forgot about it being on them. I know many decks do have a baffle like that, but almost all of them have much larger chute openings to begin with. The 7 Iron doesn't have the baffle on either the II version or the Pro deck. There is a tiny curved, welded brace back there you may be thinking of though.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TLS I was wondering what height your cutting at right now. I talked to Exmark about a demo and long story short it's going to take a lot of time and money to get one here. If it doesn't cut or disperse well in my grass I will not buy it and keep looking. This of course is a concern due to the dollars needed to make the demo happen. The main reason for concern, I'm told, is I told them I start out cutting around 2.25" and slowly raise my cut height in the heat of the summer to 4" then slowly try and bring it back down to around 2.25 to put things to bed for the winter. They supposedly checked with their engineers and there is a concern that it will not provide a quality cut at the 4" mark. In talking to my friend and Exmark user in OH and he told me he cuts every thing between 3.5" and 4.25" all season with no real issues. Of course there may be differences in grasses that were talking about and I know the higher the deck is raised the suction is reduced, but I was under the impression that of all the decks out there the Exmark deck had the most lift due to it's tight baffle setup.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never cut a regular lawn as high as 4" with any mower. But I see plenty that do. If the lawn is thick enough... No problem.

The nicer and thicker the turf, the better the UC does.

Under 3", any deck cuts great. And above 4", if its a weak lawn, no deck will cut it well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I've never cut a regular lawn as high as 4" with any mower. But I see plenty that do. If the lawn is thick enough... No problem.

The nicer and thicker the turf, the better the UC does.

Under 3", any deck cuts great. And above 4", if its a weak lawn, no deck will cut it well.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a very correct statement, the lower the cutting height, the better the cut, the higher the cutting height, the less perfect the cut.

Your mower is about where I believed it would be with fuel consumption, and I am thinking day in and day out in the 1.25 range, with lighter cutting getting into just slightly over 1 gph. Keep a running average and let's see how it comes out.

That is really great fuel numbers when acquiring that amount of power. Give us a good description of how the power felt, I'm thinking with the E-Gov you noticed very little if any change in engine sound.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

To tell you the truth I do hear it change. I'm pushing this UC deck to its volumetric limits at times. You can hear it eatin'!!

I believe that they have this governor set to slowly react as to not hunt and spike. More of an economy setting, which is fine.

I get no screaming RPM's going down hills like the SuperZ did.
I bought a tiny tach, so will update with RPM #'s when I get a chance to put it on.
Posted via Mobile Device