Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I changed the oil at 4.2hrs, I started it draining and got pulled away...came back an hour later and unscrewed the filter...this allows all that oil to then drain back to the pan and out the drain hose. I let this drain awhile longer, wiped things off, screwed on new filter, screwed-in drain plug into drain hose, and filled it with 3 quarts of Castrol HD-30 regular dino oil. Checked the dipstick and it was spot on. (even though manual calls for 3.1 qts)

I mowed the next day, and checked it later that night. I had to add that .1 qts to bring it back to the FULL line. Since then it's been fine, but didn't check it last night.

I'll keep an eye on it, but this is one of the only OPE air cooled engines out there with an extra quart of capacity. Kawi's all have the 2 qt capacity...not sure of Generac, but they really aren't being used.

To me, topping off with a 1/4 qt once during an oil change cycle isn't a big issue.

As far as hydraulic lifters go...I demo'd quite a few machines over the years, and every one that had a Kawi FX series in it had BAD valvetrain noise. Now some of these were new (some brand new with 0 hrs), and some had some use on them, but every Kawi FX I used made me not want one on my machine. Plus, the added maintenance of a valve adjustment after a few hundred hours seemed like I was going back to the 60's with solid lifter Duntov cams in screamin' small blocks.

I've had some good and bad Kohlers in the past, and saying that means absolutely nothing. As this engine uses no similar parts to those older Kohlers. I owned a dreaded 25hp Kohler with the head gasket problem. Once the headgaskets were replaced, the engine NEVER had the power it had prior to the failure....I do not think it was placebo, as I had to readjust the carb to get my RPM's back where they needed to be to cut properly. (1997 DC Flatlander). I swore to myself that I'd never own another Kohler, and bought a LC'd Lazer with the 27hp LC'd Kawi, which was a big step up in refinement and noise.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 2-FOR SALE!
Solo since 1980
Old 05-19-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I'll post more later, but half a quart in 50 hours is perfectly acceptable to me. My old 28 EFI if I worked it REAL hard would use some by the 50hr mark, but it got changed then anyway.

Myk, what brand and weight oil are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device
As it would be with me or most others, this is why I'm having a very hard time understanding why Kohler would OK an engine exchange with that small amount of usage. I think Kohler knew something about this situation we are not aware of, had to, if not they would be swapping out engines constantly with that small amount of oil usage.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Myk,

I would really like to know what brand/viscosity oil you are/were using with these engines.

Back in the 90's when Kohler first started suggesting 10W-30, they did actually say in the manual to expect oil usage when using the multi-weight oil.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 2-FOR SALE!
Solo since 1980
Old 05-19-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This interest me, please keep us informed...How many hrs on the second engine, and is it the 38 or 34 giving you problems?
There is roughly 170 hours on the second engine and I believe its the 34 horse, CV940/999cc
Old 05-19-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I'll post more later, but half a quart in 50 hours is perfectly acceptable to me. My old 28 EFI if I worked it REAL hard would use some by the 50hr mark, but it got changed then anyway.

Myk, what brand and weight oil are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device
That may be acceptable to you adding oil but I kinda feel like if I pay $13K for a new mower I shouldn't have to add oil to keep it in the lines, now if it was used with 1,000 hours or so yeah I could see adding oil here and there.

I was using Castrol 10w 30 on the original engine, on the 2nd engine using the Kohler 10w 30.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tried straight 30 weight yet? It may be worth a try. This is a hot running engine and likely needs more viscosity than other engines.

I agree about the 13k and it should be right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
That may be acceptable to you adding oil but I kinda feel like if I pay $13K for a new mower I shouldn't have to add oil to keep it in the lines, now if it was used with 1,000 hours or so yeah I could see adding oil here and there.

I was using Castrol 10w 30 on the original engine, on the 2nd engine using the Kohler 10w 30.
TLS is 100% correct, I've run nothing but Kohler oil in Kohler engines, and this is due to nothing but the Kohler engineers explaining why their oil was specifically blended for their engines. I got a very good sales pitch on this subject, but during the pitch I was also told that even with them recommending 10W-30, there would be higher oil usage than if running straight 30 wt.

In other words, the people that design and build the Kohler engines say without doubt you will see more oil usage when using their 10W-30 versus their straight 30 wt. I think if I were you it would be worth a try, please let us know if you do in fact try the 30 wt., and what if any difference you see.

What is the oil usage on the 34 you are now running?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Im still not over Kohler's hydraulic lifter bleed down problem...I will never forget that clatter sound right before swallowing the valve. Although several dealers and factory reps have told me those days are long gone. My next mower will most likely have the EFI Kohler.
Posted via Mobile Device

If I can break even on trade in of my 460 I am going to get one with the new deck and 29 kohler efi. I do not like the 31hp kawi on mine. It consumes very little oil but the backfiring and gas guzzling is absolutely ridiculous. Way more power than my mower needs. I should have known better than to get another kawi.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ProStreet,

I'd make sure you demo. There is a big difference between 747cc (EFI Kohler) and 850cc (Kawi) when it comes to power.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
ProStreet,

I'd make sure you demo. There is a big difference between 747cc (EFI Kohler) and 850cc (Kawi) when it comes to power.
Posted via Mobile Device
.....and an even bigger one with his 999cc FX921.