Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Getting off the truck

I plan to work real hard this year to get off the truck, I would like to push landscaping and focus on getting more work for the company. I have a pretty good plan ironed out and a few business deals that are in the works. Anybody got 2 cents to contribute, its well appreciated.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good to hear from you SFL. Hope you are doing great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO there are two ways to make good money. First is keeping it small where you and maybe a Helper Do all the work at health prices. That is where I am now. Less heads aches and you only have your self to worry about. You don't have to deal with all your Employee's problems.

The Second way is to have a crew and WORK ON YOUR BUSINESS NOT IN YOUR BUSINESS. Yes I have Been there and done that too. I saw My job was to do nothing in the business except delegate authority to Key Employees. I saw my Job as doing what ever to build the business and over see that everyone was doing their job.

The in between where you have a few Employees and work in your Business is not any where near as profitable.

Or Course every Size Business has advantages and Dis-advantages.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

How does your customer base respond to you not being there, relationships are everything?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the response guys, some great points here.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGL View Post
How does your customer base respond to you not being there, relationships are everything?
Posted via Mobile Device
I know I wouldn't have a problem with this as long as the guys kept the quality up. I'd say 95% of my customers or more are never home when we service the property. I've also got a handful of customers I've never directly met only on phone or via email.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGL View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
The trick is to have not good employees but GREAT EMPLOYEES. I gave a Quarterly Profit share and had my people on salary 52 weeks a year. Even when an employee was sick once in a great while I paid them their salary. If you want to keep great employees you got to Take care of them.

Winter we did more Landscape installs and the mowing crew was kept busy with that. Some times you have to take a Job with no profit for yourself just to keep your guys busy. But most of the time you make more money in winter than summer.

Making the Jump from your tools takes time to get profitable. I can hire a $ 10 to $ 12 an hour man to cut grass and I think I am worth more than that.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Network; visit a local watering hole before the crowds get there. I just landed six properties from a property manager because I bought him a beer and asked for his business; Realtors are a great referral source. Offer to show up at their office meeting with some donuts, business cards and a reason why they should refer you to their buyers (a free lawn/landscape evaluation or even the first cut free certificates will get results).

Network, let people know you are in the business and ask for the work. Don't quit, persistence pays!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"