Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Customer not paying

I had a first time customer call me to get an estimate on spring cleaning and mulching at her mothers house. I wrote up an estimate for the spring cleanup for $350 which read, "Spring Cleanup- Picking up sticks and branches, blowing leaves from lawn, mulch beds, and along driveway."

She thought that I was going to do all the mulching too for that price (which a mulch job at the house alone would have been a $300 job.) When she got the invoice, she got mad at me because I didn't do the mulch. I offered to go back and mulch a few of the small beds for that price, but she didnt want to hear it, and told me she was going to put a check in the mail and be done with it.

The check is over a week late, any suggestions on a phone call or email to send to try and get paid?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Customer not paying

Hmmm. You said you were going to mulch beds. Next time be more specific or price the entire job
Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just do a "reminder" call. Then see what they say. I've had some who forgot, and others who just try not to pay.

For your estimate, it did sound like "mulch beds" meant you were mulching the beds. I'd be more specific next time.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like to you to word your estimates better. Also why wouldnt you price re-mulchung the beds in a spring cleanup?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I read the estimate just fine. The fact that she didn't understand was just a miscommunication. Depending on the size of the lawn and mulch beds...$350 seems like a lot just to pick up sticks and leaves (assuming they were also picked up at the end of fall last year).....but doesn't seem like enough to clean the mulch beds up and re-mulch. Hard to say w/o pictures.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
Hmmm. You said you were going to mulch beds. Next time be more specific or price the entire job
The way I read the estimate is no mulching involved. He was picking up debris and blowing the mulch beds.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys. They did a little bit of fall cleanup themselves last fall, but there was still a lot to do left over from the fall. Lots of sticks and branches down in the yard, and some broken branches on trees that needed to be cut. It was about 8 hours of work. There was definitely some miscommunication in the estimate, and part of that may have been my fault for the way it was worded. Should I give them a percentage off to make them happy? Or should I stick to my guns and try to get it all?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablandscaping View Post
It was about 8 hours of work.

For $350??

Sheesh I did a full clean up (clean, edge, trim, 4 yards mulch) in 4 hours for more than double that!? I know there were no materials and probably just you working but...

Yes word your estimates better. You made the mistake so you may need to eat it this time around unless you can show were it says you are not mulching the beds....
Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I read the estimate just fine. The fact that she didn't understand was just a miscommunication. Depending on the size of the lawn and mulch beds...$350 seems like a lot just to pick up sticks and leaves (assuming they were also picked up at the end of fall last year).....but doesn't seem like enough to clean the mulch beds up and re-mulch. Hard to say w/o pictures.
Mulching beds is putting down mulch.

There is no miscommunication.

The OP wrote mulch beds.

The customer read mulch beds.

Normal and correct for the customer to expect their beds were going to be mulched. Then disappointed to not get their beds mulched.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

how big is this yard. why would it take 8hrs to pick up some sticks and such?