Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Zero lawn accounts... how do i market?!?

hey guys looking for some input on how to reel in some lawn accounts. I have only used a few methods of marketing so far, my business is very new, i started fall of last year but i have all of the equipment paid for (ztr, truck, trailer, top of the line stihl trimmer and blower) and its now just sitting there, very depressing...
i have done a good bit of flyering and it has paid for most of my equipment but it has all been, tree work, mulching, dethatching, seeding etc, one time jobs even though i always advertise lawn care on my flyers. i have just gotten setup with yp.com, and am getting some yard signs made and some magnet logos on my truck but the further into the year i get the more i think my opportunities are slimming.
i do not plan on wasting a ton of time and cash on a developing, maintaining, and advertising a website quite yet so that cuts down on my internet marketing ability a lot, but i want somewhat of a client base first...
i have found door to door to be a total waste of time, that i do not have.

i am not full time right now but i know maintenance accounts are my key to getting there, what do i do?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried Cl ads? Quick, easy, and free. Putting the word out to friends and co-workers that you have a lawn business? The methods that pay off the best take time, money or both. If you are not willing to invest in them, then you will be stuck with slow growth and frustration.

Did you have any advertising out at the beginning of the season? What type of advertising are you using now?

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-21-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Property Mgmt View Post
i have just gotten setup with yp.com
I hope this means a free listing and not a contract.

Quote:
i do not plan on wasting a ton of time and cash on a developing, maintaining, and advertising a website quite yet so that cuts down on my internet marketing ability a lot
With a bit of research and elbow grease, you can do this for very little money (like, 12 bucks a month little, with a DIY site builder like squarespace.com). "wasting a ton of time and cash" is not a phrase you'll find people, who have built a proper site, use. The ROI on your marketing dollars is unmatched. Your infinitely better off getting something, anything, off the ground now and tweak as you go as it's not an overnight process.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

yes i use craigslist here is my ad
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/sks/3795630052.html
let me know what you think.

currently i have relied solely on flyering but i have been so busy with my job i haven't been able to get out to hand out the some 2000 i have left, regardless of that i have had zero interest so far in lawn care.
i have tried door to door but found it to be a total waste of time, i know i hate people coming to my door trying to peddle their crap...
i was hoping for some referrals from my customers but i guess lawn care begets lawn care?

word of mouth is touch and go for me because i am 24 and most of my friends don't have houses and don't give two shits about passing my name along, i also cannot use my coworkers because i work at a lawn care company... yeah boss doesn't know i have my own biz, can't do that. my family seems to not be able to help get me any kind of business at least so far so dead end there at the moment, and my neighbors don't even ask me even when they do get some kind of work done so no lawn care there and i cant be pushy with family, friends, or neighbors.

for yp.com i am using the free listing service only. no contract.

currently i am investing in some yard signs and truck lettering, and i am also making all of my relatives yards look amazing free of charge for the sign real estate, but none are in "premier" locations really.

as for the website, i am not willing/wanting to have one even for $12/mo because 1. i would have to maintain it and work on it and with no customers for lawn care i don't see the point and 2. i know there are internet marketing programs i could get involved in like google ad words but that is another added expense on top of the website hosting fees etc and how are people going to know to look for me? i guess what i am saying is i am just trying to build a small base first so i can drive around with all of my equipment and signs and give people who see my name a reason to google me. i am building a base first even if it is only one day of cutting.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Property Mgmt View Post
as for the website, i am not willing/wanting to have one even for $12/mo because 1. i would have to maintain it and work on it and with no customers for lawn care i don't see the point
---------
i am just trying to build a small base first so i can drive around with all of my equipment and signs and give people who see my name a reason to google me. i am building a base first even if it is only one day of cutting.
The point is to get the lawn care customer leads via your site. The vast majority of people are generally looking for your company, not specifically.

You want to be found when people search "lawn care service Oconomowoc, WI". If they're searching specifically for you, you're viewing a site as a brochure, not as a lead gen tool.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WEBSITE, WEBSITE, WEBSITE!!! $9.95 a month on yahoo with there site builder, websites allow you to showcase your work, take pictures of all your jobs and highlight your best pictures on your site. This is the internet\smart phone era, the first thing people do is look at your site these days to see if you are legitimate and helps them decipher you from joe schmo lawnscraper.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfwTTWdT3TEinaALXbIyUVQ

OUR PHOTO THREAD
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=396303
Old 05-22-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try contacting family and friends and that will get you started, and they will refer you and you will slowly expand. that is what i did.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Added the web site this year the phones still ringing with new leads every day and all we have is that and a few small hometown papers ads that direct them to the site. When we opened 11 years ago the web wasn't that big of a deal and we did awesome with direct mail. As the years passed our advertizing got better and better but the results continued to slip. Today a web presence is no longer and option in my opinion.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Added the web site this year the phones still ringing with new leads every day and all we have is that and a few small hometown papers ads that direct them to the site. When we opened 11 years ago the web wasn't that big of a deal and we did awesome with direct mail. As the years passed our advertizing got better and better but the results continued to slip. Today a web presence is no longer and option in my opinion.
Kelly, if you dont mind me asking, who did your website? It looks really good and is well laid out in my opinion. Im struggling trying to build my own and I have no clue about SEO. did you use someone to get placement on google? if so, who and how affordable are they? any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize what I have to have to get business, but ive hit a wall on how to get there and my budget doesnt allow for $350 a month that these web site developers are asking for! thanks in advance.

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would do a facebook business page... you get a lot of "friend" referrals and such. We've probably picked up close to a dozen clients since we went on facebook last year.