Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Retaining wall..

I am still new to the pricing side of this.. Built quite a few walls but I've never been exposed to the pricing side of things..

This job I was called out to basically has the pool setting 3-4ft higher than the house, the pool company graded it off at a pretty steep slope running all the water towards the home and existing patio.

The customer wants me to correct the problem. However it maybe.. I am not positive a srw is in her budget. So I am thinking of building a 6x6 wall with a set of steps..

The wall will be roughly 60-70ft. With minor excavation. I am gonna pack a gravel base and back fill the wall with gravel with drains behind the wall. I am thinking in the $3750-$4750 range. Is that to much? Would a srw be a better deal?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't sit here and crunch other people numbers.

But I can offer advice.

So tell us - your give us a price range that you're leaning towards.....please explain how you're figuring that price range. You tell us what's in your mind and we'll offer guidance. Deal?

Also, a wall may not be needed. We has a similar situation with a new pool, water draining towards the house. We corrected it with a dry stream bed. We used 3-5" Delaware river gravel.

Pics are on our website. But being I'm on a cell phone it's too hard for me to find the pics an provide a web link at this time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a link to the pic with the dry stream bed.

So we have gravel around 1/2 the perimeter of the pool decking. If you look behind the lounge chair you can see gravel about 1/2 way tween the pool deck and dwelling. That is the main stream bed that routes the water away from the back of the house. Most of all the plantings you see are perennials, so once they mature - most of the dry stream bed wont be visible (Cept during the winter)

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/image...scaping2lg.jpg

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the look of that stone and its function. Sometimes I'm so stuck in my design ways it's nice to take a step back and see how others would accomplish the same problem. I like the look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like that idea but this is much worse of a grade.. The house side of the pool was basically built on top of the ground. They backfilled another 10ft for concrete deck and then graded the 4ft if fill dirt right towards the house with only 8ft remaining between the house and the steep grade from the pool deck.

I am gonna go meet with her in the morning before they pour the deck and get some pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I can't sit here and crunch other people numbers.

But I can offer advice.

So tell us - your give us a price range that you're leaning towards.....please explain how you're figuring that price range. You tell us what's in your mind and we'll offer guidance. Deal?

Also, a wall may not be needed. We has a similar situation with a new pool, water draining towards the house. We corrected it with a dry stream bed. We used 3-5" Delaware river gravel.

Pics are on our website. But being I'm on a cell phone it's too hard for me to find the pics an provide a web link at this time
Posted via Mobile Device
I am looking at spending close to $1000 in the 6x6.. Also gonna have one set of steps framed from 6x6 to build with pavers to fill in the middle areas.

I am really leaning at upwards of $4000 because:
$1000 in lumber
$500 in random materials(nails, pavers, sand, drain tile)
$400 in gravel
Also I am gonna have to bring in my excavator and bobcat.

I'd really like to get prices on some sort of stone, just because that might be a better long term option. But I am not sure where to turn for a decent supplier..
Posted via Mobile Device