Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-30-2015, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Who's had both - JD & Scag?

I feel confident that one of the two is in my future. Both obviously have great reviews and big followings.

Not looking for a brand war. Just to hear from those that have put a lot of hours on both. What you prefer on one vs the other. Are the hydros any more substantial on either?

I've been looking at Snapper Pro as the "most for the money". But I'm worried I'll ultimately regret not getting something with a 7 Iron or Velocity deck, since cutting early morning dew is at the top of my want list.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love the fact that my 7 iron cuts thick early morning grass with a lot of dew. It is so humid here in Arkansas that dew points are routinely above 75 every morning and grass is drenched most mornings. I used to have to wait till after 8 or 9 to avoid clumping grass so it is nice to be able to cut at 6:30 and not worry about clumping and clogging.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

velocity is ok but from recent experiences i couldnt recomend scag. never ran a jd though. good luck though man
Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker Lawn & Landscaping View Post
velocity is ok but from recent experiences i couldnt recomend scag. never ran a jd though. good luck though man
Interesting, seems both usually get rave reviews for wet grass. Depends on the grass I'm sure, read that clover sucks regardless. Around here I see about 50/50 Scag and Deere.

Seems like LandFakers and a few others have mentioned having both.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2015, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Demo a Deere and find out. Just tried a stander last week and it worked amazing.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977212 View Post
Demo a Deere and find out. Just tried a stander last week and it worked amazing.

Their standers is a Wright Deck. I've put 1,000+ on both the 7-Iron 657 and 9 Series combined, and 1,000+ on the Velocity. You won't be dissatisfied with neither in my book, both are built like tanks and both cut well in tall or dewy grass. I feel the 7-Iron always left a tad bit smaller clippings, but as far as cut quality, they are equivilant in my books. Just stay away from the 7-iron Mod, and get the Pro Deck. As far as an honest opinion, owning both, it would be a flip of the coin and toss up as far as performance and durability. If I were you, I would be thinking more along the lines of; distance to the dealers, sale deals, stock of parts, friendliness of dealer, service time, etc.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Their standers is a Wright Deck. I've put 1,000+ on both the 7-Iron 657 and 9 Series combined, and 1,000+ on the Velocity. You won't be dissatisfied with neither in my book, both are built like tanks and both cut well in tall or dewy grass. I feel the 7-Iron always left a tad bit smaller clippings, but as far as cut quality, they are equivilant in my books. Just stay away from the 7-iron Mod, and get the Pro Deck. As far as an honest opinion, owning both, it would be a flip of the coin and toss up as far as performance and durability. If I were you, I would be thinking more along the lines of; distance to the dealers, sale deals, stock of parts, friendliness of dealer, service time, etc.
Yep, that's pretty much where they're at in my mind. Coin flip territory. I'm sure it'll come down to price. I'm not in any hurry, would like to see a EFI Vanguard Big Block option. That might be too far out though, idk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Sponsor

Saw that they posted this recently, tried their new 52" standers, and loved them. I haven't used the Scag stand on mowers, but I know that Wright holds patents that force other people to build stand on's different ways (platform placement Wright is between the wheels, center of gravity, that kind of stuff). Also Wright has been making them longer than the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fq8AB80q2s

If you are getting a walk behind hydro mower than I am not sure if the differences are that big. I have used Scag 36" hydro's and liked them, but haven't used Wright's Velke mower, or John Deere's.

I think the Quicktrak 657 might be pre Wright MFG making for John Deere. I think they have only been making the Quik tracks for JD for like 1-3 years.
CLIP Lawn Care