Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone ever MAKE a shoulder harness/strap to use with string trimmer?

I had shoulder surgery in Nov (rotator cuff, Labrum, and impingement repair) and am STILL having a ton of pain. I am working thoruI'm thinking a shoulder harness or strap of some sort might be helpful this spring. Can anyone share some insight about how one might go about putting something together? I don't wanna buy anything because I don't think I'll need it for too long.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Possibly look into easy lift?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Possibly look into easy lift?
Posted via Mobile Device
An excellent suggestion. Especially for someone with a recent injury or attempting to get back to work with the least amount of stress and strain.
easy-lift guy
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Geez my string trimmers come with shoulder straps… we have a pile of them somewhere, no one uses them… ungainly and annoying…. ask around… someone is likely to HAVE straps they don't use too!
Old 03-19-2015, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree. I have straps laying around that I don't even care to use. Just ask around, I'm sure someone will have one.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea to use a strap in your condition.

However, I've never liked them. I tried it once just to see what it was like and it was awful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2015, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check out the shoulder harness's that Stihl sells for running brush cutters etc. A decent one came with my FS250 when I bought it. It is not just a strap either, but rather a full harness.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Check out the shoulder harness's that Stihl sells for running brush cutters etc. A decent one came with my FS250 when I bought it. It is not just a strap either, but rather a full harness.
You will regret the investment since the product you are referring to will actually pull the operator forward and than the OP will have a lower back problem as well as a shoulder issue he is trying to overcome. The ELH that was suggested by another member is designed to transfer the weight of the implement the length of the boom and upper and lower mast so that the weight is evening distributed around the lower torso. You can not bend with your back with the ELH due to the ergonomic design. Bend with your knees any way.
easy-lift guy
Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will google the Easy Lift.

I had straps come with a consumer blower that I finally threw away after they sat around for 6 years...dummy!!

What if I took the shoulder strap from a big duffle bag and somehow Jerry-rigged that? Anyone do anything simple like that with things laying around in the garage or basement? I guess the clips would probably break, but....
Old 03-19-2015, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
You will regret the investment since the product you are referring to will actually pull the operator forward and than the OP will have a lower back problem as well as a shoulder issue he is trying to overcome. The ELH that was suggested by another member is designed to transfer the weight of the implement the length of the boom and upper and lower mast so that the weight is evening distributed around the lower torso. You can not bend with your back with the ELH due to the ergonomic design. Bend with your knees any way.
easy-lift guy
No, I would not regret the investment. You have an interest in this topic that is biased. I do not, and I know how the Stihl harnesses work. They work well for someone like the OP that might not normally use one, but needs to while they recover. Using a hedger attachment on a trimmer where you are holding the trimmer up at waste high or higher levels, then I can see your contraption being a better option.