Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2014, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tire ? ZTR, lug tractor 8 ply vs big turf 4 ply ply

I want to put some new tires on my 72 and I am wondering what to buy, this is for steep slopes wet mud in some situations. If I go with 26x12 lug 8 ply tractor tires I will have to change the wheels our every time I mow this job but these should work better and cut down on using the WB for real tough cut situations on this job. Or I can buy the new 26.5x14's that are out which are 4 ply turf tires and probably will not have to swap the wheels out every time I do this job because I will use them all the time.

In any event I feel 24x12's are smallish for a 72 ZTR and want to get something with more bite. Any advice is welcome, Thanks.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would expect larger tires would put more stress on the wheel motors as it will change the gearing. You know what I mean, larger tires make machine go faster. Thats not what you want on slopes, you want torque!

I would stick with the 24's and put some AT101's on there. As far as Im concerned, they are the best all rounder tire available!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your mower will handle 26's, yaa you are right I have the girly man Super Z. I am thinking of going with 26's and just take it easy running the mower. If it blows I will up date the machine with real components on the drive.
The 26 tractor Deerestone bar tires are way beyond the 101's.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The tires are Deestone not Deerestone. They look serious but on normal grass they would rip it up. I can get the Ultra Trac 26.5x14 Carlisle for a good price but they do not look very aggressive.

I guess the 101 is a good do it all.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank Hipster, yaa it looks like the 101 are the way to go. I just wish they were beefier looking. The Ultra Trac 26.5 are bigger and would look beefier but they are for Golf type turf, they are 14 inches wide.

Any other type heavy bar tire will wreck regular turf under normal use so the girly man 101 mini bar tire is the best bet.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just found a place for tires called " Stop n Go Tires " that has great great prices and free shipping till the end of July.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought some 101's, the guy who sold them to me said it was the best ZTR tire he new of and their best seller. Thanks again Hip Man!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

The AT101 tires are amazing. If they made them small enough to fit on my walk behind, I'd probably throw them on there.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Lawn Care View Post
The AT101 tires are amazing. If they made them small enough to fit on my walk behind, I'd probably throw them on there.
I run 20x10 tires on my hydro walk behinds.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No problem mate! Be sure to put some slime in them!

You have to be careful on turns and in areas where the grass is thin but since putting turf tires back on mine (its been a very dry year,) I havent seen much difference in ripping.
They are obviously more aggressive than turf tires so just keep that in mind. Also, give them a chance to wear a little. They have sharp(ish) edges when new.
Try and avoid turns on pavement and concrete as much as you can as well. It will help reduce wear and give a longer life.

You'll probably notice less mud n stuff being carried back to the trailer as well. I hate turf tires for that!

Let me know how you go with them! A few pics would be good!