Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-14-2015, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

ZTR Input Needed...

I'm shopping for a ZTR. I've gone and talked to all the local dealers, drove them all (hard to tell any difference on a quick demo in a paved lot) and am trying to narrow down the option as I'm running out of time.

Criteria
Budget of $6600 is about my max give or take a little.
Mowing a hair under 2 acres but may end up mowing more down the road (all personal property, not commercial)
Last at least 15 years (I do maintain and take good care of my stuff)

I'm down to the Scag Freedom Z 52", Ferris iz700 or Toro Titan ZX5400. Dealer support is great for all 3 brands.

Scag Freedom Z
Scag Freedom Z 52", 24hp Kohler, ZT-2800, 11x4 & 20 x10, $5000. Iread they may not offer the Kohler motor anymore, just the Kawasaki (21hp FR), and its not as beefy in the frame, wheels, hydro's as the others but is also the least expensive. I also have a slight bias of always thinking Scag's were the goto commercial mower? No V+ deck either.

Toro Titan ZX5400
Toro seems like good value for the $. 23hp Kohler, ZT-3100, 13x5 & 22x10 wheels, $5700. 54" deck is wider than the other 2. However, I'm leery of if the Toro name and machine are up to par with the industry leaders. I'm told ExMark and Toro are the same mower and company these days?

Ferris IZ700
Ferris iz700 w/ Kawasaki seems the nicest given the suspension (though again I can't really tell given the short test rides), has a 23hp Kawasaki FS series motor, 52" ICD deck, 13x5 & 22x11 wheels. However, the price seems steep $6,600, and I think may be overkill for what I'm doing?

So what option would you recommend? Scag I know is used in tons of commercial settings from what I see. The Ferris seems great and is tempting, but I feel like it might be overkill and I would be better served to save some $ or am I wrong? Am I over thinking this? Toro was a last minute mower that's really got me all confused because its got a lot of commercial features for a reasonable cost, but will it last?

Tags
ferris , scag , toro