Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2014, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats "wrong" with walkers?

I am researching if I should buy a walker (ghs) or not. Would like to hear from people who have used them and what they don't like about them. To me, the deck height adjustment seems annoying-unless you buy the kit. also dumping clippings will be tricky. I don't think "double ramping" into my truck will be an option. The hi-dump looks cool but at an extra $3k, not so much. Also, is it possible to drive mower while deck is tilted up? thanks.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

High dump adds enough weight far enough back that it really reduces traction. I run dump bins in mine. Other downsides are they are slow, lot of grease fittings, and can't side discharge. That said I would quit mowing before I'd do it without a Walker in the fleet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can drive with deck up if you go straight. if you turn to much you'll break the rear plastic wheels. They have a speedup kit which is a smaller pulley and heavier tension spring. And you can get a side discharge deck. I usually run the 74in deck on mine.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. I wouldn't be able to fit on trailer if undrivable with deck up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are great for maneuverability, out front free floating deck with no vac or bagger hanging off the side restricting how close you can get to beds/objects. I can change deck hight in seconds, just pull and adjust 4 pins. They are very high quality, designed to last thousands of hours 30+ grease fittings, many members have well over 3000 hours original drive trains. Some have 6000-7000 hours.

That bring said if you have to haul grass off every lawn it can be a pain. Fortunately I can dump at many of my properties and at all of my larger lawns.

You can swap out decks easily and can add many attachments like snow blowers or power brooms.

My old boss still has the original walker he bought back in 1996, the year before I worked for him. Now has 13+ Walkers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nobody uses them here. They take up to much room on a trailer, very few people here bag, they are to slow even with the speed up kit, nobody willing to pay extra for the hassle of bagging around here.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

You have to bag. All. The. Time.

However my commercials I now ride with back door open (stay clear 20 feet)

Expect to spend 2-3g's on NECESSARY accessories. Suspension seat, easy height adjustment, and manual deck lift. Also, get the big hole screen filter and ramp.

If you're obsessed with lines, get the tail wheel lock or split. I have the lock and like it since it doesn't hinder maneuverability.

All that said, the price of these machines are high, but the quality is there. Just don't be like me and expect to save time with it. If bagging is your thing, it is the ultimate machine.

I still reach more for my john Deere z925a with MOD and striping kit. Only my highest end customers get the walker treatment.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge lawn care WA View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I wouldn't be able to fit on trailer if undrivable with deck up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Back it on, lift deck, lift and close gate.

When you get where you are going: drop gate, lower mower deck, drive straight off.

the GHS doesn't side discharge, but yu don't need to buy another deck to discharge, simply buy the attachment that fits in the back door and rear discharge out the back… works great.

There is also a mulch plug and a blower disconnect which works pretty ok.

Nothings quite as good as the navigators 3in1 mulch, bag, 50 mulch/50 bag system… but hey… it's pretty close.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is the second season I've had my diesel Walker GHS. My crews use it at a few select properties and on those properties its worth a million bucks. It does one of the best cuts out there. That being said stuff is going to break on them and I dont believe they are built very "tough" or heavy duty. Ive had multiple items break on my mower. Id say once per month it goes into the shop. For me its a mower we need but I know you have to baby it to keep it going. I do believe my diesel engine will last forever, but Ill prob have to replace everything else around it 3-4 times.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Here in Augusta, almost everyone has a Walker. Are these one of the best machines for providing that clean carpet like cut on turf? With all the attachments said in this thread, and the ones' needed to be fully operational it becomes quite pricey.