Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would be good to see a photo of it installed.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bumpin this back up, hoping for a review on how the Puffer is performing. So come on weeble spill the beans.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I installed mine about a week ago. Takes a bit of getting used to for sitting 4 to 6 inches higher in the saddle. Other than that it's an excellent product for cushioning your ride. I could go over some of my bumpiest lawns at almost full speed with a sore back and still be Ok.

I just wonder if the extra wear and tear on the machine from going over rough ground at higher speeds will bust my mower up faster. :-/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

ok, just an out there idea. What about a puffer base and a Grammer msg75?
Twin air ride components.

Could fine tune "float" to weight and terrain
Too Much?
2009 Bad Boy AOS diesel
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
I installed mine about a week ago. Takes a bit of getting used to for sitting 4 to 6 inches higher in the saddle. Other than that it's an excellent product for cushioning your ride. I could go over some of my bumpiest lawns at almost full speed with a sore back and still be Ok.

I just wonder if the extra wear and tear on the machine from going over rough ground at higher speeds will bust my mower up faster. :-/
Posted via Mobile Device
Would be good to see some pics of your instal if u have a chance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greenology check out ET air ride on youtube for pics /video. Puffer and ET are the same suspension.

One of my commercial accounts asked me to start maintaining the back acre of their property and it's ROUGH cutting. It's hard on the back, very jarring. My mechanical suspension isn't cutting it on that property.

My only concern is the added height of the Puffer throwing off the center of balance on my mower . That same commercial property has some steep hills that I still want to use the zero turn to cross cut the hills .

Been kicking around between the Puffer and Retrodog's Grammer seat. Looks like the Puffer would cushion the ride more then the Grammer but the Grammer looks more compact. Decisions Decisions
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a couple steep slopes that I cut and was still able to do them with the added height of the puffer. I was nervous going into them and ready to jump ship if it came to it but ended up being fine. My mower is 52" cut, if you have a wider machine than you should be fine. Take it slow the first time, if it feels like you're starting to tip then steer it down the slope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
Greenology check out ET air ride on youtube for pics /video. Puffer and ET are the same suspension.

One of my commercial accounts asked me to start maintaining the back acre of their property and it's ROUGH cutting. It's hard on the back, very jarring. My mechanical suspension isn't cutting it on that property.

My only concern is the added height of the Puffer throwing off the center of balance on my mower . That same commercial property has some steep hills that I still want to use the zero turn to cross cut the hills .

Been kicking around between the Puffer and Retrodog's Grammer seat. Looks like the Puffer would cushion the ride more then the Grammer but the Grammer looks more compact. Decisions Decisions
Yea thanks, I have seen that video. I was keen to see some close ups on the different installations.

The height is the only drawback! a restriction for ducking under tree branches and the like, also raises your centre of gravity. One of those things you cant really tell how much it will effect you until u try, but by that time you've spent the money and fitted on the machine
Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

As the Grammer and the puffer both have similar ride heght and suspension travel (3" or so), what makes more sense?

A. and upgraded seat with it's own air system.

B. an air suspension base that can be used with any seat, even one with mechanical suspension.

As the Grammer MSG 75 has a non mower standard mounting width, some fabrication would be required in the need of a mounting plate.

The Grammer msg 65 is a mechanical suspension with a higher than normal weight rating. (It also has a mower standard mounting width).

The puffer appears to be designed to mount to many mowers arrangements, and is mower specific.

I am honestly leaning towards the puffer with a Grammer 65, so I can have a higher weight rating on the seat (kinda need that) and the advantage of air ride underneath. That would keep my ride height increase down, and give fine tuning options to ride feel, as well as cost savings over the Grammer msg 75.
With the weight and width of my mower, I am not too concerned on center of gravity.

So, those with the puffer base, happy with the decision and what kind of seat do you have mounted on top of it?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
I have a couple steep slopes that I cut and was still able to do them with the added height of the puffer. I was nervous going into them and ready to jump ship if it came to it but ended up being fine. My mower is 52" cut, if you have a wider machine than you should be fine. Take it slow the first time, if it feels like you're starting to tip then steer it down the slope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey Shoreline now that your Puffer is adjusted to your weight do you find while sitting on it that it's in the middle of the suspension range ?

Talked to Mark at ET Air ride today and he stated it should sit between 3 1/2- 3 3/4" or about the middle range on the suspension . He said if it's pumped up to hard that you lose comfort and gain higher center of gravity. Ordered mine today should be in next week some time.

Watching the video on Youtube on the ET Air ride it looks like they have the air shock pumped up a little to hard and closer to the upper limit of the suspension

Tags
air ride , exmark , suspension , toro