Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the sites are of good quality you have nothing to worry about from Pandas, Penguins, or whatever tweaks come in the future.

The crackdown on EMD's was not Penguin or Panda and is meant to eliminate poor quality sites that only rank because of an EMD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
"We're relatively close to deploying the next generation of Penguin."
Obviously, by "relatively close", Cutts meant within a week'ish. lol

Quote:
Webmasters and SEOs, expect major changes to the search results. Matt specifically said, 2.3% of english queries will be impacted by this update.
Penguin 4, With Penguin 2.0 Generation Spam-Fighting, Is Now Live
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Okay, in doing some quick looks at various sites...I love Penguin 4...'cause we're killing it. For example, a site in a highly-competitive, major metro area that was page 4 for some words, they're now high page 2. If some were overall 3 or 4, they're now 1 or 2, and sometimes 1 & 2 or 3 & 4, with the root domain and sub-page ranking together. The root and sub-domain pages both ranking high together is a new occurrence on Google. Bing and Yahoo, this isn't uncommon, but it was for Google.

I'm most digging seeing a couple of lawnsiters now ranking directly next to each other in a big region. They're 70 miles apart, so this thrills me.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just checked a few of my major keywords. Page 1 was not much different but saw some new players on page 2.

Something I have noticed the last 4-6 weeks is that Yelp and Houzz are both on page 1 for almost anything. Look up what David Mihm says about "barnacle SEO" to see why that might matter to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The more I run keyword reports, the more I confirm that the root domain is now often paired with the specific keyword page. They are not a hybrid result, but are two, distinctly different results.

For example, on Monday, only the specific keyword page was highly ranked. The root domain (home page) would be on page 2 to 4. After Penguin, the root domain result, which would normally be on page 2 or 4, has paired up with the Page 1 result of the focus keyword page.

Monday
Keywords:
lawn care indianapolis
Ranks:
BobsMowing.com/indianapolis.html overall #3
BobsMowing.com overall rank, top of Page 3

After Penguin Update
BobsMowing.com/indianapolis.html overall #2
BobsMowing.com overall #3

Depending on the site and keywords, the root domain and sub-page are reversed in rank.

Anyone else seeing this?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

all of my 3 main sites are still above the 7 pack. never did get my google places page to rank on first page. Not sure what a difference that will make i'm just below the paid ads. My yelp ad for my main city stands out at the top still. everything seems much the same for me, and most competitors still seem to be in the same spots. with the exception of lawn doctor and all their sub-pages. I do not see them up there anymore, a few months back they showed up on the first page for a search for lawn care in many of the cities i'm targeting, then gone.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm seeing the same. Where I was ranking sites that climbed past Lawn Doctor, now I'm not seeing them at all. A couple of months ago, I used this example for you "lawn care marietta ga", where Lawn Doctor was overall #2. Now try to find them. I gave up at page 4. This is the same for all markets I tracked them in. I'm guessing there are some people at the home office who are cursing. Bet their franchisees will be a bit angry when they find out. Easily the biggest hit I've seen to a company.

Last edited by tonygreek; 05-23-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Mr results actually seem to be showing split more, before the change I would often see my home page and the particular service page show on the same page of results (mid 2-3), now I only seem to be finding the service page, or vice versa, not seeing them show together much at all. Some things I went up a couple rankings others I went down. Seeing a lot more competition for the 7 pack of local results now from competitors who are farther (10-50 miles) away but have the keyword in their names, rather than my business which is within 5-15 miles but the name does not include the words lawn or landscape... seems a little disappointing since I'm obviously closer sometimes substantially but now often not even showing in the 7-pack, before I was almost always 1 or 2. Any suggestions of things I should adjust to regain my rank there? On the plus side my organic results seem slightly better...
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

oops maybe I spoke to soon, my local results now seem to be at the top even above the first organic listing for my primary keyword, wonder if I missed that the first time.... I think I like the change : )
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I am seeing both my home page and the specific service page returned for longer keyword phrase searches, sorry I spoke to quickly earlier, interesting to see a few ups and downs here and there, overall looks positive for me, still some improvements to make though I think : )