Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Detention pond major cleanout

Local company has a detention pond that needs to be cleaned out. The township is going to fine them because they have never maintained/cleaned it and water has been backed up in it for a while now.

It should have a sand basin floor, will need to be dredged/excavated, hauled off site, sand floor re-installed, grated and perimeter/side hydroseeded.

The company who owns the property baulked at the price of ~$18k for the work, said they didn't have a budget to do that. I later found out they assumed they'd use part of their "landscape maintenance budget" for it, but i know thats somewhere between $3000-6000!

The area is approximately 100' wide and 300' long. It has standing water 1-3' deep in most areas, needs to be pumped, lots of fish, frogs and wildlife live there now and would need to be re-located to another local pond/small lake and likely DEP will require a permit, or worse, may conclude that it is now wetlands and can only be cleaned by "man power".

It has trees around it and fences, so there would not be any way to get an extra large excavator to park off the side and reach in to dredge it up.

My main concern is not just that we may not get the job, but the company is likely low on funds/income and the area is poor/low income, local competing companies would easily jump on this work for $4000-6000 just to bring in their backhoe from 1970 and tear a$$ into it and see how much mud they can dig out.

Getting any equipment stuck would likely require a crane due to the embankment and no where to really be able to easily pull a machine out without getting another one stuck.

Anyone have experience doing this? I want to cover all bases and realize that the price could be low at $18k, or maybe i'm just being cautious.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Oklahoma Tulsa area there is a company that uses ole Gradall equipment. One has a 80 foot reach, they will usually pull to the bank and then scoop up. The Gradall is the cheap part of this operation, where it runs into money is the haul off. Known of a couple a pond cleanouts where they just make the dam around the pond larger which saves money.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That sound's like it could be classified as wetland's easily.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If they've created a new wetland habitat... what's the problem... gov't,,, especially town gov't is usually managed by the power hungry of the lower end of the IQ scale... maybe they should get SuperFund money from the Algore legacy...

Don't even get involved is my advice...
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you're talking yourself out of it. I woul skip it too
Posted via Mobile Device