Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Usually our Heat breaks during the second half of August and the Fall rains would be starting then, so I could apply the synfert as early as that... the advantage of getting it down by that time is our turf can get a chance to burst back to life while the irrigation is still on; so if that is the only opportunity for the turf to "Winterize" becuz of an Oct/Nov drought, it would still be OK...
The last 2 Oct/Nov periods were extremely dry, so our drought period started in Late Summer 2011 and just ended with this snow melt and wet Spring...

I can't say what it takes to Beat CG in Z7,,, but that is another aspect of the "Bridge Program", that you use what works ONLY when necessary... someday you might be the one that makes pre-m unnecessary in Z7...
I only wish I was that smart. Crabgrass has a high IQ (actually it is well adapted to compete in hot and dry conditions).

I usually put down Miloganite the first week of Sep and go for the Winterizer syn fert in mid Oct. Looks like we are similiar if we factor zone differences. I may move both applications up a week or two as I like your thinking on irrigation considerations. thnx for feedback.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Screamin Green is a good bet as a brdige-type formulation--and I am thinking it would work out well in the fall--so no need for a syn fert in the fall. You are right to use spot spray, as spot spray applies about a hundred times less product per thousand sqft. Also, you might consider the low toxicity-low odor products for weed control. Triclopyr for instance needs four times less less ounces per acre--water clear--no odor--organic soybean oil carrier, much less toxic than Weed-B-Gone. Triclopyr is sometimes called Ortho Chickweed, Oxalis, Clover Killer.
http://www.dowagro.com/turf/products...ster_ultra.htm

Secondly, you may want to consider Quicksilver herbicide. I use about 20 drops per gallon. Toxicity is even less--about a hundred times safer than Weed B Gone.

And...for some sensitive accounts I included 10 minutes of hand weeding before each fertilizer treatment. Fine for dandelions, violets and large weeds--not so easy for clover or creeping charlie. Five minutes per thousand sqft is about right. Extra time optional at extra cost. These customers usually consented to a bit of spot spraying in the fall.

Tags
liquid ferts , organic fertilizing , spray weeds