Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Degrees

What would be the most beneficial degree to get in this business? I am looking to expand the hardscape area of my company and would like to get a degree so I'm not in over my head.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO management. To many skilled workers who have no business running a company
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Jack Of All Trades. lol
Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you haven't tested the college waters, I always suggest to dip your toe in by taking two of the most beneficial courses a small business owner can make... Basic Accounting and a Communications class, aka the dreaded Speech Class. Getting started with those will help build your back of house/front of house skill set, give you a taste of school, and help you decide the best degree path to take.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're a tradesman,,, and a tradesman with a degree is not a very wise tradesman... learn what you need to learn and forget about throwing away huge amounts of money in foolish debt...
Old 05-18-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You're a tradesman,,, and a tradesman with a degree is not a very wise tradesman... learn what you need to learn and forget about throwing away huge amounts of money in foolish debt...
Thanks for that insight. I will go turn in my technical degree in landscape and turf management and my degree in small business management so I can be considered a smart business man....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You have a lot of good informative and helpful posts. This was not one of them. Foolish debt that can help you grow a thriving business and not stagnant mowing gig
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I just am wondering if a business degree is beneficial or would it be better to just get a specialized degree in something like Landscape Design.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your looking for a specific answer to a broad question.

What is your background/expertise in?
How old are you?
What are your goals with your current endeavor?

The reason I ask is this.....

I have the degrees stated before. My brother does not. We are in the same industry and got to where we are from different roads. It depends on where you are and what you need as to the answer you will get.

That being said, both of us take courses and stay up with what is current thru continuing education. If you dont you are a fool and will not be at the top of your field. If you just want to cut grass and install pavers, then you may not need to get an education beyond the school of hard knocks.

BTW, I graduated with no debt so Smallaxe is so very wrong in so many ways with his statement.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I'm 19 and pretty much an expert in maintenance considering I've done it for over 10 years. (Mowing, Mulching, Aeration..ect.) and i'm considering expanding to do either Hardscapes or Hydroseeding/Bark Blowing. I know there is a good industry for both, but i know that hardscaping requires more equipment, and overall just seems like more of a headache. Not sure if anyone has experience with either but opinions would be appreciated. I would like to also expand my irrigation division and focus on that as well. As far as business management goes I have created my own database software, website, shirts, advertising, and really don't seem to be lacking with customers/employee's or financially. I feel like a business degree wouldn't benefit me all that much for the $$$.