Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Magnetic Laser Reciever

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. I am considering purchasing a laser setup and thought that the magnetic receiver would be kind of handy and just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience good or bad with them.

I am leaning towards a Topcon system over a Spectra because of the 5 year warranty. I called on a Topcon system today and the salesman wanted to sell me a higher end receiver (LS-B100) because he says they have troubles with LS-B10 falling off of machines. My thoughts are if they are that bad then I can make a different more secure mount for a lot less than jumping up to the next model. Or I can get off my butt and check it with the stick.

I'll mainly be using it on my 20Klb.excavator but would probably at least try it on our dozer I'm sure. I mostly just "play in the dirt" on the weekends and on my days off. I see using it for building pads and footings and also for some drain tile work possibly around the farm

Thanks for the help and great forum.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get the higher end model. A good one will use a clamping system and an adjustable rod with heavy magnets. I have used both systems and I have more faith in the higher end unit. It also has a built in plumb meter that will let you know when the reciever is plumb for accurate readings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Ron, I'll have to sleep on it but I'm thinking that I'll hold off on purchasing the Machine mounted reciever until i can justify the added cost of the nicer model. i can see where the Plumb feature would be nice and hadn't thought about that too much earlier. I'll probaly just get the base unit and the standard reciever for the stick for now and see how that goes.