Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

When to do what?

I live in Virginia and was wondering when you typically do what for a yard. When do you use weed and feed, seed, aerate, that sort of thing.

Right now, for lawn care, all I really do is mow, weed-eat, trim bushes, and spray roundup when needed. I want to expand to start doing more. Do you recommend doing certain things at a certain time of year? Or just whenever it looks like it could use it.

Also an unrelated question, but what do you do to gain more business? Right now 80% of what I do comes from referrals, but I don't feel like I have enough to do. I have made a website, that has brought me one person. Facebook has brought me 4 or 5, but most of the work I get isn't routine. I'll get a call every once in a while to remove leaves, or trim bushes, but they cut their own grass. I have hand delivered thousands of fliers to people and I have had a few come from that.

I am a college student at the moment and this is my main source of income. I'm not really at the point where I can spend $60 per month in advertising unless I knew I'd get at least a few jobs from it. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts.

Sorry if this post is not in the right section.

Thank you,

Colby

1982 1 ton Chevy Cargo Van (an incredible 8 mpg!)
Cub Cadet LT 1045 46'' Riding Mower
Honda GCV 160 Self Propelled Mower
Bolens 21" Push Mower
Echo SRM 225 Trimmer
Echo 770t Blower
Rigid 3000 psi Pressure Washer
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm also in Virginia. I not a expert or anything but you can put down weed and feed up to 4 times a year. Early and late spring and early and late fall. Most people just do early spring. Fro
What I have heard best time for aerating and seeding is in the early fall ( second week in sept). You need to advertise as much as possible if you want more business. I have never had any mowing referrals only landscaping. Just starting out word of mouth travels fast if you do good work for cheap. I have done 9 quotes so far and only got 2 of them. It takes time to build a GOOD client base. I'm in the Shenandoah valley what about you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyjh View Post
I live in Virginia and was wondering when you typically do what for a yard. When do you use weed and feed, seed, aerate, that sort of thing.

Right now, for lawn care, all I really do is mow, weed-eat, trim bushes, and spray roundup when needed. I want to expand to start doing more. Do you recommend doing certain things at a certain time of year? Or just whenever it looks like it could use it.

Also an unrelated question, but what do you do to gain more business? Right now 80% of what I do comes from referrals, but I don't feel like I have enough to do. I have made a website, that has brought me one person. Facebook has brought me 4 or 5, but most of the work I get isn't routine. I'll get a call every once in a while to remove leaves, or trim bushes, but they cut their own grass. I have hand delivered thousands of fliers to people and I have had a few come from that.

I am a college student at the moment and this is my main source of income. I'm not really at the point where I can spend $60 per month in advertising unless I knew I'd get at least a few jobs from it. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts.

Sorry if this post is not in the right section.

Thank you,

Colby

Study and get your pesticide license. It will help you understand the turf species, when to treat, and how to target.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
I'm also in Virginia. I not a expert or anything but you can put down weed and feed up to 4 times a year. Early and late spring and early and late fall. Most people just do early spring. Fro
What I have heard best time for aerating and seeding is in the early fall ( second week in sept). You need to advertise as much as possible if you want more business. I have never had any mowing referrals only landscaping. Just starting out word of mouth travels fast if you do good work for cheap. I have done 9 quotes so far and only got 2 of them. It takes time to build a GOOD client base. I'm in the Shenandoah valley what about you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Starting cheap many times ends with being broke. Just go above an beyond and price yourself fairly. Once your seen as cheap everyone will think you are
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Starting cheap many times ends with being broke. Just go above an beyond and price yourself fairly. Once your seen as cheap everyone will think you are
Posted via Mobile Device
100 percent correct!! They either stop because they aren't making any money or raise there prices and lose the bulk of there clients. I like to end quotes with I'm not the cheapest but I am reliable and do good work. You get what you pay for.
Posted via Mobile Device