Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2013, 04:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Replacing bent trimmer shafts?

Anyone ever replaced a bent shaft on their Stihl trimmers? one of my helpers ran over two of my trimmers, ARGH! Yeah he got fired!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Anyone ever replaced a bent shaft on their Stihl trimmers? one of my helpers ran over two of my trimmers, ARGH! Yeah he got fired!
Yes....Take the head off, disconnect throttle and wires, remove the tube from the engine, place the new tube next to the old one and mark where the handle and throttle go, transfer everything over, put new tube on engine, put new shaft in tube and make sure it seats in clutch cup, put head back on and make sure it seats on shaft, tighten everything up and reconnect throttle and wires......done.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
......done.
Not quite...........you definitely wanna lube the driveshaft/cable while sliding it in the tube. Also a small dab O grease at the clutch cup end .

......AMF!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty easy fix.

Ran over with a truck because someone else put them in the road or on a driveway? I'd fire they guy who put them there, I have a rule, no small equipment in roads or drives for this exact reason.

Or ran over with a mower in the lawn when he could see them a mile away? In that case ya he's at fault.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

This is why we keep everything. Even blown trimmers. They always come in handy for some sort of part. But yeah a new shaft is easy. Takes about 10 minutes.
1 DTE Single Axle
Toros
Stihls
Gravelys
Lesco
Old 07-23-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...ited-warranty/
Stihl has a lifetime shaft warranty. IF you are the original owner of the trimmer.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorcupineLawnCare View Post
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...ited-warranty/
Stihl has a lifetime shaft warranty. IF you are the original owner of the trimmer.
You're saying they cover GROSS NEGLIGENCE...like running it over with a truck???
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Not quite...........you definitely wanna lube the driveshaft/cable while sliding it in the tube. Also a small dab O grease at the clutch cup end .

There was a time I would hand grease the shaft with regular hi temp red gearse, now it's just spray with FF and go.....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How much does the shaft cost? I'll try the warranty road first obviously but kinda doubt
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never throw old equipment away!

Funny how these post echo my experiences! I read and listen and many times I find the solution lurking about not wanting to hijack a thread.
Last week, during a torrential downpour coming back to the shop, a city bus clipped my jungle jims weedeater rack. Amigo was trying to tell me but he couldn't quite get it out for about 3 blocks, he managed buush! buush! and pointing.
I couldn't see anything amiss, I shoulda pulled over to check but I didn't think any damage was done, and it was raining hard rush hour traffic and lightening popping all around.
Come to find out my trailer and rack was okay but the new Stihl FS 100 RX shaft was bent at a 25 degree angle right off the clutch housing! Musta clipped the bus mirror?
I don't think those models have a solid shaft, I may be wrong, since I haven't tried to pull the mangled shaft out yet, but if its not solid, may have saved the power head
No problem! went to my trimmer part graveyard [55 gallon drum] and got another Stilh tube with a solid shaft that came off who know what Stihl 2cycle power head.
dab of grease, slide the tube up, line up the shaft so that you know it's in the clutch, and you are good to go!

Last edited by captken; 07-24-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: credit breezmeister and big fish!