Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

3 well timed rain days and my week has been a living hell

Personally I despise holidays they are not enjoyable as a landscaper they just up the stress levels. So last week with Mothers Day coming up we mow Wens-Fri and are doing about 200 accounts I am not certain the number my partner an I haven't had any time to go over our lists in a week or so. Anyways my first 2 days were total wash outs we did get to mow Friday but we were 2 days behind by then and I lost 2 hours to a starter on a mower deciding that would be a good day to die. Sat was also a total wash out and Sunday was of course Mothers Day so off limits. So the hit was huge I knew I was going to be when they changed the weather forecast on Tuesday. So I get to lose 4k plus in mowing and then as if that wasn't fun enough I get to deal with 2 weeks of growth this week cutting on the normal days. Or give up all side work which was promised and couldn't be missed by cutting 2 days earlier which while would make some happy but it would piss off the end of the week guys who would rather their lawns be a foot tall then get cut on Monday total no win situation.

So now we get to be greeted to a dozen dumb phone calls every night for the last 2 days are you coming? when? omg its tall! Yes it is and they all take longer now but thank you for calling and wasting my time with a call back its not like we wanted to sleep after back to back to back 12 hour days. I should have this sorted out by Saturday but I can't help but be pissed it picked a holiday weekend in the high growth month of May to give me 2 days of rain and a day of it on my overflow day with the 2nd overflow day being off limits. My guess is I will lose 1 or 2 accounts which sucks but I have picked up a dozen in the last week and a half the price of expanding I guess.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I feel your pain. We are a small company and I am one of the two full time employees. We have been working 13 to 14 hours a day and I'm behind on 5 or 6 yards. I have customers calling my boss all the time demanding we get them done or they will terminate us. We should be caught up in 2 or 3 more days hopefully. It's been very hard to play the catch up game and try to keep people on schedule. Today my co-worker had a family emergency and had to leave after our second yard. I worked till 8 tonight. Last house was vacant so I figured they wouldn't mind. I have to go in early tomorrow to scrape the decks, sharpen blades, and grease the equipment etc etc.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

nyahhh I don my scuba gear and cut when it rains too but you want to sleep and you're posting here.

But I get it, too...
The hand-holding can, and some days does get old.

But believe me, three months past the NEXT stock market crash?
You will LOVE those people, trust you me in a recession you will LOVE anybody who calls!

So that's how I think of it, take care of them during good times.
Just do like I do text back "Working hard to take care of you, I will soon be on my way!"

I even got it 'saved' so it's like a 3-key press text.
click, click, click SEND done.

If they text back "How soon?"
Reply text "Soon, soon, I promise, please be patient and thank you so much for being my customer!"

Roll up 3, 4 days later.
Wave, smile, give out two thumbs up.
Get right to it, don't waste no time, make it look as good or better than always.
And of course, same price.

Get those checks in the mail, thank them again and it'll be over before you know it.

Last edited by herler; 05-17-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

At least you're getting rain. It's starting to look like a repeat of last year already here.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Fighting mother nature sucks, no doubt about it. Maybe hire temporary help in the spring when the grass grows the most...or don't accept as many new customers.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you OP. Totally soaked here too - really needed to cut lawn today but it poured all day so got ZERO done. Forcing me to work most of the day tomorrow instead of just a part day.

Still, I will NOT cuss the rain. Cause when it goes away, its even a worse deal for us.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-18-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like lately it only rains while I'm in the middle of servicing a yard or it rains and "floods" (today) and I can't catch up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just looked at the forecast here at least some rain everyday next week gotta love it, I just turn my phone off and let it go to VM have a message ready If your calling about your yard we're busy cutting as fast as we can, see ya soon, thanks for being a valued customer.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bet if we get no rain wed really be complaining. I learned after 5 years not to curse the rain, by the way can someone loan me a snorqal?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
nyahhh I don my scuba gear and cut when it rains too but you want to sleep and you're posting here.

But I get it, too...
The hand-holding can, and some days does get old.

But believe me, three months past the NEXT stock market crash?
You will LOVE those people, trust you me in a recession you will LOVE anybody who calls!

So that's how I think of it, take care of them during good times.
Just do like I do text back "Working hard to take care of you, I will soon be on my way!"

I even got it 'saved' so it's like a 3-key press text.
click, click, click SEND done.

If they text back "How soon?"
Reply text "Soon, soon, I promise, please be patient and thank you so much for being my customer!"

Roll up 3, 4 days later.
Wave, smile, give out two thumbs up.
Get right to it, don't waste no time, make it look as good or better than always.
And of course, same price.

Get those checks in the mail, thank them again and it'll be over before you know it.
I get alittle upset when customers call me and ask me when am I coming? Why aren't you hear yet? Is everything allright? Etc Etc, they have no clue that I'm working myself into the ground 7 days a week all day trying to get to them, but instead of getting worked up I'm going to try the above advice to the customer. Thanks Herler!