Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Need advice on new ztr

Guys I've read about every thread on here and the more I read the more confused I get.

Here's my dilemma, I want a zero turn to mow my yard (3acres mixed centipede, bahia, st. aug) and my parents yard (2 acres mainly Bahia, st aug) and would like to pick up a few small yards to maintain and make a few extra bucks.

I have a good friend that's let me use his hustler x one fx730 60" with the vx4 deck on a few occasions to mow my yard. That thing is sweet. I did not notice any clumping issues at all like many reviews show. Before this one he had a fastrack I used on a few occasions and to me there's night and day difference between the two.

My question is I'm looking hard at a hustler x one fx730 54" vx4 deck that a dealer has that's a demo with 40 hours. I've got him to $7100 plus tax financed. Should I pull the trigger or is this too much mower for my light use?

Secondly, the reviews I've read point towards the John Deere mowers but it seems I'm going to be around $8000-8500 for the 920m or approx $7400 for the 915b. I haven't tried to negotiate with the Deere dealers but in the past I know others that say they won't budge.

They are both great dealers and there's also a scag dealer close that has a great reputation. But it seems the x one considering the price is going to be tough to beat.

My original budget was $6000-$6500. Is there any other mowers I should consider? Should I pull the trigger on the x one or am I just throwing away money on it and getting more mower than I need? Would I be better off getting a $3-4000 mower and using it 10-15 years and buying a new one with the latest technology or splurging now and using the mower for basically the rest of my life. Lol

Thanks guys for the help and support, I do appreciate it. Hope you all have a great day.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Would a scag freedom z be worth looking at or would the x one be better than that?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Freedom Z is more heavy duty home owner. You would need to step up to the Tiger Cat with Velocity deck to Compare. Me personally it's hard to be the Tiger Cat with Velocity Deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Tiger cat 61" with the 730 motor is $8599 at the local dealer. He doesn't want to move at all.

Do they just not negotiate with the scags? Seems like the hustler is the way to go considering the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Find another dealer. I negotiated on my scag. You are also buying during prime season. I purchased in January.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dealers vary considerably on their pricing. Just keep checking around. Like someone else said you are buying during peak season too so they will tend to be less flexible.

Get a Scag Tiger Cat with V+ deck. It leaves avery nice cut and is a very good deck in many different cutting consitions.

I have seen how the Hustler Super Z cuts and I won't even consider them.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino